Magick (The Unwanted Series) (Volume 1) by…

Magick (The Unwanted Series) (Volume 1)

by Mira Monroe

115,447,112 (4)None
Recently added bypomo58

No tags.

Magick, from Mira Monroe, is the first book in The Unwanted Series. I don't read as much in the fantasy/paranormal genre as I once did but like to sample what is available on occasion. I am very glad I did so in this case.

What appealed the most to me was the main character, Willow. We experience the novel from her perspective and I was particularly taken with her character. A bit of a snarky high school senior who makes the usual comments for someone that age. There is enough magick to keep those readers interested but the story is also very much about people, which is not always the case in genres that tend to emphasize action over characterization (fantasy, action/adventure, paranormal to a large extent). This was, for me, a story about an interesting young girl becoming a young woman, but in the realm of Wiccan and magick.

As the first in a new series there is a good bit of space given to establishing the recurring characters and their dynamics yet the story still maintained a very good flow and never got bogged down in background. The rest of the series will likely just get better as Willow grows into her new life.

In addition to readers of YA fantasy/paranormal I would also recommend this for readers who enjoy coming-of-age stories and don't mind the fantasy/paranormal aspect. It is a quick read and, in my case, has made me want to read the next book in the series.

Reviewed from a copy made available through Goodreads First Reads. ( )
  pomo58 | Feb 25, 2017 |

Willow is making plans with her best friends, Emily and Lucy for a great senior year while daydreaming about future plans away from Chepstow, Massachusetts. Willow tries for a life under the radar outside her biggest adventure, dating Daniel, voted best all around guy. Her life is perfect, until a long-lost grandmother reveals that not only does she come from a long line of Wiccans, but she's part of the royal family - and next in line for the crown! Not everyone is happy she's next in line and her life is in danger along with those around her. Willow's known world is turning upside-down, while this new world invades her life, with rogue guardians and one who is sworn to her side, Rhydian the handsome warrior Wiccan who knows everything she doesn't. Willow must learn to use her magick to uncover the dark secrets about her family's past in order to save the Edayri realm - and everyone she's ever loved before it's to late.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 25 Feb 2017 16:05:28 -0500)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,690,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible