The Woman Who Knew Too Much by Tom Savage

The Woman Who Knew Too Much

by Tom Savage

117820,536 (4)None

I received a free advance e-copy of this book and have chosen to write an honest and unbiased review. I have no personal affiliation with the author. Nora, the wife of a CIA operative is an actress and drama teacher. She has been asked to disguise herself as a television host and assist in the defection of a Russian actress from Venice, Italy to America. Nora is a fun and interesting character. This is a well-written mystery with a great plot and excellent character development that is full of suspense, danger, and twists and turns. The action never quits. I couldn’t put it down. There is a surprise twist at the end. This mystery novel is well worth the read and I look forward to reading more about Nora and her husband in the future. Tom Savage writes a great mystery. ( )
  iadam | Dec 31, 2017 |
An intelligent and witty suspense, with international implications. Nora is asked to join the CIA on a temporary basis by her husband's employer, in order to help extricate a Russian actress who is in danger. The stories don't quite match up, and the teams of people working both sides make this an interesting and thought provoking mystery.
The characters are original and entertaining, each bringing their unique flavor to the story and the mission at hand. The plot and the writing itself is inventive, and the mystery creative. Definitely one I'd recommend!
*I received an arc from the publisher through NetGalley for an honest review ( )
  KimMcReads | Jul 17, 2017 |
Nora Baron just became one of my favorite heroines because her name is a palindrome. In fact, her husband, Jeff's nickname for her is Pal. This is the second in the series involving this couple and this time, actress Nora is called on to Argo a Russian actress out from under her traveling theater group while in Italy. She seems scared of her high ranking Russian military boyfriend and all involved hope helping this woman defect will lead to good intel. Nora is surrounded by some great characters in their small production crew. I liked the youthfulness and "cool" that Patch brought to the group. And once in Venice, Nora's husband, a CIA operative himself, lends a hand slightly off the books. There's even a Mother Abbess who would give any of the nuns in the Sound of Music a run for their money. This was a great read, the story kept pace with the reveals as it went along. ( )
  ethel55 | May 26, 2017 |
THE WOMAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH by Tom Savage is the story of Nora Baron, wife to a CIA agent, who is asks to work for the CIA to find, communicate, and the help extract a Russian actress who has important information that can severely alter the United States' diplomatic position with Russia. Things are not what the seem and don't go as planned in the fast paced, hold on to your seat thriller where Nora doesn't know who to trust expect herself and her instincts.
Nora Baron has a theater background and a strong minded woman, so the reader immediately sees and supports the logic on how she is recruited to help the CIA. Her husband, Jeff, is underdeveloped as the husband who tries to protect and help his wife "in secret" from the CIA, only it seems like in the end, the CIA appreciates his help. The cast of characters around Nora are all fascinating and fun and make the story that much more engaging and being set in picturesque Venice helps too. The book is structured and reads similar to THE TRAVELERS by Chris Pavone, with the right amount information given and withheld so that the reader is involved and committed to the story but at the same time is yearning to find out more. I enjoyed the pace of the book too, not only did it not really slow down, but the anticipation towards the end made the book hard to put down.
I would definitely read another book by Tom Savage, particularly one focused on the Nora Baron. As far as espionage thrillers go, this is good one to check out.
Thank you to Random House/Alibi, Tom Savage, and Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  EHoward29 | Mar 31, 2017 |
I really liked the first Nora Baron book, however, I had a hard time getting into this one. It seemed a little hokey at first for me. After a while, I finally got into it and it was more like the Tom Savage that I'm used to. I still remember the first book that I read by him - A Penny for the Hangman - that was so good!

The ending of this book was air fist pumping good! I loved it. I love to see the bad guys get theirs. So instead of the 3 stars I was seeing at the beginning, I opted for the extra star that the ending definitely deserved. Like I said, slow at first, but it did come around and I found it entertaining, intriguing and mysterious.

Thanks to Random House/Alibi for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Mar 3, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,071,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible