Haikyu!!, Vol. 9 (9) by Haruichi Furudate

Haikyu!!, Vol. 9 (9) (edition 2017)

by Haruichi Furudate (Author)

Series: Haikyu!! (9)

Shoyo Hinata is out to prove that in volleyball you don't need to be tall to fly! Ever since he saw the legendary player known as "the Little Giant" compete at the national volleyball finals, Shoyo Hinata has been aiming to be the best volleyball player ever! He decides to join the team at the high school the Little Giant went to--and then surpass him. Who says you need to be tall to play volleyball when you can jump higher than anyone else? Motivated by their heartbreaking loss to Aoba Johsai, Karasuno now works towards a new goal--the Spring Tournament! The team gears up for a trip to Tokyo for a training camp with some of the top teams in Tokyo, including Nekoma, but there's something they need to do first...pass their finals! Hinata, Kageyama, Nishinoya and Tanaka are all at risk of not being allowed to go. What are they going to do?!… (more)
Member:Leighann2
Title:Haikyu!!, Vol. 9 (9)
Authors:Haruichi Furudate (Author)
Info:VIZ Media LLC (2017), Edition: Illustrated, 200 pages

Haikyu!!, Vol. 9 by Haruichi Furudate

This counts as my review for the whole Haikyuu!! manga

”You don’t win alone.
That’s just how it is.”

READ FOR: best character developments and themes that I have ever encountered
READING LEVEL: Level 1-3 out of 5

*All of my reviews are as spoiler-free as possible unless stated otherwise*

I don’t think I’ll ever have enough words to express how much I love this manga and anime series but I’ll try anyway. But I just need to make it known that this has changed my view in anime and manga forever. I caught up with this manga in the last 30 or so chapters but I won’t say much to avoid spoilers... but it was crazy.

It made me laugh, cry, fall in love, think, and honestly... what else do you need in a series? I can keep going on and on about this series but honestly I think you should just read it for yourself. I really don't think you'll regret it.

When someone asks me what the plot is, honestly, all I can say is “they play volleyball” HAHAHA… but it’s so much more than that.

PLOT: ★★★★★
The plot was so well thought of from the very beginning and when I re-read the manga I can’t believe the amount of foreshadowing Furudate actually placed. My mind was so blown… I just. No words. I am seriously in love.

ART STYLE: ★★★★★
The art style… *chef’s kiss* especially in the later arcs. There were so many matches but even then Furudate never failed to leave me breathless at each one.

CHARACTERS: ★★★★★
The character development here is THE BEST. HANDS DOWN. that I have ever come across. I fell in love with the so many characters in this series that I did not even think that was possible.

The character relationships... the character dynamics... their mindsets... they are all so perfectly well done and realistic GAHHHH I've said this so many time throughout this review BUT THEY JUST MADE ME FALL IN LOVE SO EASILY. I can't pick my favourite one but hinata and kageyama just hold a special place in my heart.

This connects to the themes but my favourite thing that was done with the characters here was that each one of them embodied a theme or a message that the author wanted to get across. Those are spoilers so I won’t really talk about it but just know that it was one of the main reasons that made me go so crazy about this series.

*cough* hinata kageyama atsumu sakusa bokuto kita noya ushijima tendou tsukki suga kenma kuroo *cough*

Note: if you think this series is focused on only 1 team... you're in it for A RIDEEEEEE

I'm getting chills just looking at and remembering these panels ^^

THEMES: ★★★★★
Honestly I basically thought the themes were just gonna be “teamwork” and “friendship”… while it is all that, Furudate sensei was able to make it even deeper.

I think the one that was focused on the most was “It’s not always about winning, it’s about growth”. But there were also so many smaller things that lead up to that bigger point: (1) we get our strength from others, (2) but you also need to make yourself dependable, (3) there is always room for improvement, (4) working hard is good but overworking yourself isn’t, (5) you are built on the small things you do everyday, (6) an ace's back should be an inspiration to your teammates (hi bokuto), (7)

The way I wrote it was very straight to the point but I was amazed at how Furudate tackled the so many messages that I received from this series.

PACING: ★★★★★
THE TIMING. OF EVERYTHING. JUST MAKES SENSE.

It’s so realistic that I want to cry. (I actually already did… a lot of times.)

PAGE TURNER: ★★★★★

You should understand that I made this review weeks after I finally calmed down about this series cuz I was really going crazy about it HAHAHA if you have finished this series too or met me while I was reading this, you know what I’m talking about ;)

I'll keep this series close to my heart until the grave. You cannot convince me otherwise.

themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
The search for a new team manager and stress over exams make for a nice change of pace before the team dives back into action with practice matches in Tokyo. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
What do you do? A huge arc of the story has concluded and so does the high the reader feels. How do you bring that back and start a new arc while keeping it fresh? Simple. Bring in new characters!

This volume has a plethora of new characters, including a new manager-in-training~ (She's adorable, smart, and a lot like me) Not to mention the return of some familiar faces: Nekoma is back!

Perfect way to move on to the next phase of the story! ( )
  Rhydion | Oct 30, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,438,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible