Tyrant's Throne by Sebastien De Castell

Tyrant's Throne

by Sebastien De Castell

Other authors: Morag Hood (Illustrator)

Series: The Greatcoats (4)

4.5/5 stars

This book took me a while to get into, but I think it was more a me thing than anything else. I really enjoyed this. It was heartbreaking, and hard to read at points because things just weren't going right for Falcio, Kest, and Brasti. It was written so well though, I really came to care about these characters and hoped that they wouldn't die. I really enjoyed how the plot progressed in this one, and how the series wrapped up. I enjoyed this new "foe" and how the Greatcoats themselves had to face some harsh truths and really think about what it was they truly represented.

Overall, this was a fun series, and had some great adventures. I am hoping to return to them one day soon. ( )
  jdifelice | Jun 10, 2018 |
Falcio val Mond is on the brink of sucess, he's just about to get Aline on the throne and to earn his rest when it all goes pearshaped and Trin is back and somehow he has to dig deep in his reserves and survive.

Falcio is an interesting mix of optimist and realist, he really wants his cynicism to be wrong only to have it proved again and again to be right and it's eating away at his soul. He's also tired of people he cares for dying but he's also finding that some of these people care enough about the same things he cares about. (I nearly cried at the coins, wow)

There are mild echoes of Brexit underlying some of the story but overall it's a satisfying conclusion to the series with hope that there may be some other stories involving Falcio, Kest and Brasti, some day, and I look forward to that day. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jan 8, 2018 |
Tyrant’s Throne is, sadly, the fourth and final book in author Sebastien de Castell’s Greatcoats fantasy series. I picked up Traitor’s Blade, the first book in the series some five years ago just out of curiousity but, from the first page, it became one of my favourite stories and, with each succeeding book, my love of the story grew. It was everything I love in a fantasy series: wonderful worldbuilding that continually expanded but never lost its focus on what really mattered to keep the story moving; gods and saints that were not only not all-powerful but could die; a magic system that had limits; plenty of action; a nice touch of humour; and, perhaps most important at least to me given the surfeit of anti-heroes in fantasy lately, heroes who are a throwback to earlier fantasy series but without the pastoral beginnings or big hairy feet, who have weaknesses, human failings and quirks but who strive to do right even when right seems wrong to everyone else – it is, I think, fair to say that de Castille has created some of the most likeable and sympathetic characters in the genre.

And in all these respects, this final book doesn’t disappoint except in one albeit very important way - it means the story is over... However, de Castille hints that there may be more in the future for our three heroes Kest, Brasti, and, of course Falcio (who, perhaps, will finally get some respect?). Fingers, or perhaps it should be swords, crossed!

Thanks to Netgalley and Quercus Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review ( )
  lostinalibrary | Jul 29, 2017 |
Using NetGalley is pretty simple. There are two spaces for feedback to the publisher, and two questions to answer yes or no. One question is whether you would buy the book for yourself or a friend, which in the review I sometimes parrot and say that I would or would not buy the book for myself or a friend.

I don't think I have ever said yes to the other question, which is whether I would like to connect with the author. I'm not the New York Times or the London Review of Books, after all, and I know enough writers not to want to badger them with anything remotely approaching a silly fan question. I didn't tick the yes box on the "Tyrant's Throne" review either, but by the Gods living and dead, I would like to meet Sebastien de Castell and buy him dinner or flowers or something. I have not envied a writer so much in years.

I received a review copy of "Tyrant's Throne: Greatcoats #4" by Sebastien de Castell (Quercus US) through NetGalley.com.

https://www.amazon.com/review/R2O1WEM4K2I60E/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm ( )
  Dokfintong | Jun 7, 2017 |

Sebastien De Castellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hood, MoragIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my esteemed editor, Jo Fletcher, the best sort of Tyrant...
A trial is a performance, no different that a stage play or a wedding.

After years of struggle and sacrifice, Falcio val Mond, First Cantor of the Greatcoats, is on the brink of fulfilling his dead king's dream: Aline, the king's daughter, is about to take the throne and restore the rule of law once and for all. But for the Greatcoats, nothing is ever that simple. In the neighboring country of Avares, an enigmatic new warlord is uniting the barbarian armies that have long plagued Tristia's borders--and even worse, he is rumored to have a new ally: Trin, who's twice tried to kill Aline to claim the throne of Tristia for herself. With the armies of Avares at her back, led by a bloodthirsty warrior, she'll be unstoppable. Falcio, Kest, and Brasti race north to stop her, but in those cold and treacherous climes they discover something altogether different, and far more dangerous: a new player is planning to take the throne of Tristia, and with a sense of dread the three friends realize that the Greatcoats, for all their skill, may not be able to stop him. As the nobles of Tristia and even the Greatcoats themselves fight over who should rule, the Warlord of Avares threatens to invade. With so many powerful contenders vying for power, it will fall to Falcio to render the one verdict he cannot bring himself to utter, much less enforce. Should he help crown the young woman he vowed to put on the throne, or uphold the laws he swore to serve?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,896,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible