Shadow's Edge: Psychic Detective…

Shadow's Edge: Psychic Detective Mysteries (Psychic Detective Series)…

by S.C. Wynne

512,032,727 (3.17)None
Recently added byEle.na, bek-pa, grisaille, gsc55

2.5 stars

First things first, let’s mention something the blurb should have addressed: the book starts nine months after the death of Liam’s partner, William (by the way, Liam and William? Couldn’t the author think of a different name?), who was also a colleague and the best friend of the other MC, Thompson.
The blurb completely omits this and I’ve no idea why, since it gets mentioned on the first page and it soon appears clear that Liam is still stuck grieving William’s death.
Not only that, but Liam’s inability to move past his grief, and later his decision to finally face that grief and move on, is what sets in motion directly or indirectly every scrap of relationship development between him and Thompson.

Stranger still was the feeling that the book seems to start in the middle of things, with the investigation already a few weeks in and Liam constantly addressing how different Thompson seemed to be in the last few days, while the story had barely begun.

The investigation itself wasn’t bad, although there was some eye-rolling involved and I found the world building a little lacking.
For example, Liam gets introduced as a psychic consultant and some people are surprised, but nobody seems to find strange that he has visions and can read minds and that he gets taken seriously enough to consult with the police.
Are psychics common in this world and paranormal abilities officially recognized? It seems so, but why not throw in a more detailed explanation, then, instead of leaving the reader to guess? It wouldn’t have taken much, a couple of sentences at most.

I also have mixed feelings about the relationship between Liam and Thompson.
They acted a little childish at times and I’m not sure the author’s style is for me, many times the interactions between the characters and the dialogue’s progression felt slightly off and unnatural.
I was tempted to dnf more than once at the beginning, but in the second half it picked up a little and I felt compelled to keep reading.

Despite the many things that didn’t work for me, I still read the whole book in little more than a day, and a fairly busy day at that, so for now the rating gets rounded up just for entertainment value. I’ll see if I change my mind later and bring it down to 2 stars, but either way I don’t think I’ll pick the next book up. ( )
  Ele.na | Jun 8, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,790,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible