Sorrow's Turn (The Marker Chronicles…

Sorrow's Turn (The Marker Chronicles Book 3)

by Danielle DeVor

541,436,638 (2.88)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sorrow's Turn is the third in the Marker Chronicles series. Unfortunately I have read neither of the first two and , while the author continually referred to events in them, it was wasn't always with enough detail to get a real feel for what had happened in the past. There is at least one more book in the series to come.

Jimmy is an exorcist, seemingly disowned by the church yet under the watch of The Order, an organisation not fully explained. He is designated a Marker, which again wasn't thoroughly explained in this book but I got enough of an idea by the end of the book. He lives with a witch, a ghost, and the spirit of a little girl.

Unfortunately I felt that the plot wasn't clearly developed and it was difficult to tell where the story was going, and the only actual exorcism in the book felt rushed and incomplete.

I didn't mind the informal style and first person narrative to begin with, but it got a bit wearing towards the end of the book, especially with certain phrases being repeated over and over.

An easy to read book, just not quite living up to my hopes.

*i received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review ( )
  bellymonster | Sep 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sorrow's Turn by Danielle Devor is the third in the Marker Chronicles series. On the whole, I enjoyed the book although there were sections where I couldn't stand the main character. ( )
  ladyoflorien | Apr 2, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers Program. I was not a fan of this book. Besides the extremely weak plot, the background was poor and the characters shallow, inconsistent, and unlikable. Since I missed the first two books in the series, it is possible that the background was better there; however, series usually provide some background in the beginning instead of jumping straight into the "action". I found the characters unbelievable and unlikable since half of the book was the main character whining and wanting to hide in his closet rather than deal with everyday life. My personal expectations of an exorcist is not a man who cannot check his email (when he is waiting for important information) without his girlfriend telling him to and who is so afraid of conflict that he can't order a pizza for fear of choosing the "wrong" toppings. The true plot of the book (an exorcism of course) was shoehorned into the last quarter of the book to make room for all of the whining, vacillating, and immaturity. I do not recommend this book and can at most recommend that if you choose to read it that you should start from book one in case it improves the back story significantly. ( )
  heposton | Feb 28, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's a interesting story and since I had not read the other books it took me a couple of chapters to get into understanding the past books, but it was a fun read nevertheless. The chapter titles seem to have been taken from a best of rock music. ( )
  ProfessorT | Feb 15, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Danielle DeVor's book Sorrow's Turn was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Danielle DeVor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,048,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible