Goodnight from London: A Novel by Jennifer…

Goodnight from London: A Novel

by Jennifer Robson

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have enjoyed Jennifer Robson other novels. She has a way of telling enthralling stories interwoven with romance that take place during WWII. This story has a personal connection to her family.
  arielfl | Jun 26, 2017 |
Formulaic love story set mostly in London during WW II. While the writing was good, it could have been written in the 1940s. Even if the events and background had been more contemporary, the storyline lacked dimension. ( )
  LivelyLady | Jun 22, 2017 |
Reviewed for Library Thing early Reviewers:
Another hit for Jennifer Robson ! A well written novel about a young female reporter who goes to London to work for a weekly magazine. Through her eyes we see what it was like for ordinary people living in extraordinary times. Ruby lives through the nightly bombings of the London Blitz..She reported on the disaster at Coventry and Durning Road. She shows us the spirit of the people in their struggles and victories coping with lack of decent food and blackouts and homes in rubble.
"Goodnight from London" is a giimpse inside the reality of WW ll in London. I enjoyed it very much. ( )
  Smits | Jun 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This would be good choice for a light summer read, especially for fans of historical fiction. I would consider this a "clean" novel that isn't specifically a Christian novel. In the book, we follow the adventures of a young woman dispatched to report from London starting at the beginning of World War II.

That being said, I didn't enjoy this as much as I wanted to. I think the book lacked something to drive the action. I kept yearning for some kind of tension or drama, but the plot never really developed any. After a while, Ruby just seemed to come off a trifle Mary Sue-ish. Throughout the book, everyone she meets is ever so nice and helpful. Even if something unfortunate does happen to her, it leads her into a situation that benefits her even more. Even a situation that could have had dire consequences was swept under the rug almost instantly. I was also annoyed at the way Mary was depicted. The author seemed to give her every stereotypical Scottish attribute she could think of. ( )
  LISandKL | Jun 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ms. Robson historical fiction was inspired by the memoirs of her grandmother Myra Moir, a reporter, who worked on the women’s pages of the News-Herald. The author in her latest will transport us to London in the midst of the Blitzkrieg.

1940, American journalist Ruby Sutton gets her big break and moves to London to report on the Second World War as a staff member for Picture Weekly. But life in besieged Britain will test Ruby in ways unimaginable.

In a heartbeat I was immersed in a women’s fiction with strong romantic elements and fascinating accounts of life in England. The protagonist profession is a true part of the story I enjoyed particularly. It was much more than a simple filler, it was an excellent exploration of journalism as it was during that time: daring interviews nicely depicted. While in London, Ruby forms bonds with many friends and depends on their kindness to keep her going and since “Goodnight from London “is a mix of suspense and romance of course what else can we expect but to have Ruby fall for a captain in the military….. awe….Their romance was sweet and engaging as it slowly moved forward.

Ruby is one of those gutsy heroines that caught my interest from the first page, joining her is the slew of supporting cast that are equally captivating. It surely helps that they are likable characters. The authors’ prose and research shines through and it is easy to be pulled in especially when the ravished city is so expertly described. Closing each chapter are bits and pieces of articles that Ruby writes the words start by ”Dispatched from London by Miss Ruby Sutton” and her article is dated…..

This is a cozy and enjoyable read

I received a complimentary copy from HarperCollins through the Earlier Reviewer Program. ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Jun 4, 2017 |

From USA Today bestselling author Jennifer Robson—author of Moonlight Over Paris and Somewhere in France—comes a lush historical novel that tells the fascinating story of Ruby Sutton, an ambitious American journalist who moves to London in 1940 to report on the Second World War, and to start a new life an ocean away from her past.

In the summer of 1940, ambitious young American journalist Ruby Sutton gets her big break: the chance to report on the European war as a staff writer for Picture Weekly newsmagazine in London. She jumps at the chance, for it's an opportunity not only to prove herself, but also to start fresh in a city and country that know nothing of her humble origins. But life in besieged Britain tests Ruby in ways she never imagined.

Although most of Ruby's new colleagues welcome her, a few resent her presence, not only as an American but also as a woman. She is just beginning to find her feet, to feel at home in a country that is so familiar yet so foreign, when the bombs begin to fall.

As the nightly horror of the Blitz stretches unbroken into weeks and months, Ruby must set aside her determination to remain an objective observer. When she loses everything but her life, and must depend upon the kindness of strangers, she learns for the first time the depth and measure of true friendship—and what it is to love a man who is burdened by secrets that aren’t his to share.

Goodnight from London, inspired in part by the wartime experiences of the author’s own grandmother, is a captivating, heartfelt, and historically immersive story that readers are sure to embrace.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 28 Feb 2017 12:54:01 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jennifer Robson's book Goodnight From London is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,330,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible