The Whole Way Home by Sarah Creech

The Whole Way Home

by Sarah Creech

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a great novel! Sarah Creech knows how to write a good beach read. The characters were relatable and the flow of the story was fantastic. ( )
  lkevelyn | Oct 3, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Interesting and entertaining book. An easy read, perfect for the beach or a rainy afternoon. Characters had depth and were vulnerable with flaws and problems. But they were still likeable and you found yourself rooting for them. No big surprises in the plot, but it was still fun getting there with the characters. ( )
  dd196406 | Sep 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I simply love when a book surprises me, when it takes twists and turns I didn't see coming, when it builds in such a way that without realizing it slowly is far more then I'd anticipated. The Whole Way Home, by Sarah Creech, fits this description. I was really thrilled to have been selected by Library Thing and William Morrow as an Early Reviewer and I'd like to thank them for the opportunity.
Jo Lover is a rising star of the Nashville country music world when her label merges with the label of her first love, JD Gunn. Seeing an opportunity the label reunites them. Sarah Creech is a master story teller and she really shines in this genre, the messy relationships, heartache, history, love and loss, moments that can haunt us, baggage we carry. She excels at relating real life, the human experience we all can relate to. Clearly, I'm a fan. There are elements of all of these as we learn why these two didn't make it, what happened so long ago, how it made them who they are now, and if they can reconcile that in present day to find a way together.
I throughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend to anyone who loves romance, stories that present location as key element, country music, and relationships. There is a plot element that may be triggering to those that are highly sensitive to sexual violence. It is short, not extreme, but it does exists. If this is a concern be aware. ( )
  CMDH5 | Aug 29, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as part of the Early Reviewers program. This is the story of Joanne Lover, country music singer, whose life is turned upside down when her first love of her llife walks back into her life. Amidst her upcoming music success, questioning her engagement to her current boyfriend, and secrets that have surfaced after years of staying hidden, this makes for a good beach read. This is an easy quick read. My one problem with this book is that there were too many storylines without great character development that it was hard to really identify with the characters. I love reads that draw you in and take you into the storylines of the characters and leave you wanting more. Although the storylines had potential, they just weren't very well developed and although I wanted to like the characters, there just wasn't enough to develop that attachment. ( )
  debristow | Aug 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Well, this is about the dumbest thing I’ve read in a long time. I’ve been trying to recall what about the description of the book attracted me but can’t remember. On the surface, THE WHOLE WAY HOME is a love story about two country western singing stars who grew up together, went their separate ways and, finally, rediscovered their love years later when their life circumstances made getting together more complicated. But they LOVE each other and CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT EACH OTHER, so everything will work out. I tried to give it a chance. One aspect of Creech’es second novel that I admire is the evocation of the atmosphere of the live music concert. That is not an easy thing to do when there is no actual music playing, and she does it well. The excitement of the audience, the anticipation of both audience and performer who waits backstage for her entrance, the rhythms and dynamics of the music, and all the rest. These are ably constructed. THE WHOLE WAY HOME is also something of a short course in the workings of the music business. Not in-depth, but it was terrain that was new to me and I appreciated learning a little about it. The novel also gave me some appreciation for the culture of country western music and, particularly, the culture of the Grand Ole Opry. Even so, this was a skimming over the surface of things. This book is not for a reader seeking anything with any depth. The story is trite, and the catalyst for conflict is old-fashioned and dated. The shame of a preteen rape and pregnancy? Really? While, unfortunately, always a current issue, it is handled here superficially and with the glaringly obvious intent to create sympathy for someone quitting because of the shame; something I like to think we are moving beyond. So, basically, stuff happens, and none of it is terribly interesting or well done. In fact, some of the basic grammar is grossly abused. Gah! Hate that! If you absolutely adore the country western scene and seek an extremely lightweight romance story, maybe this is for you; but I don’t recommend it. ( )
  scenik1 | Aug 7, 2017 |

A radiant talent on the brink of making it big in Nashville must confront her small-town past and an old love she’s never forgotten in this engaging novel—a soulful ballad filled with romance, heartbreak, secrets, and scandal from the author of Season of the Dragonflies.

But the stage persona she’s built is threatened when her independent label merges with big-time Capitol Records, bringing Nashville heartthrob JD Gunn—her first love—back into her life. Long ago Jo played with JD’s band. But they parted ways, and took their own crooked roads to stardom. Now Jo’s excited—and terrified—to see him again.

When the label reunites them for a show, the old sparks fly, the duet they sing goes viral, and fans begin clamoring for more—igniting the media’s interest in the compelling singer. Why is a small-town girl like Jo so quiet about her past? When did she and JD first meet? What split them apart? All too soon, the painful secret she’s been hiding is uncovered, a shocking revelation that threatens to destroy her reputation and her dreams. To salvage her life and her career, Jo must finally face the past—and her feelings for JD—to become the true Nashville diva she was meant to be.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 28 Feb 2017 12:53:51 -0500)

"Playing to packed houses while her hit song rushes up the charts, country singer and fiddler Jo Lover is poised to become a one-name Nashville star like her idols, Loretta, Reba, and Dolly. To ensure her success, Jo has carefully crafted her image: a pretty, sassy, down-to-earth girl from small-town Virginia who pours her heart into her songs. But the stage persona she's built is threatened when her independent label merges with big-time Capitol Records, bringing Nashville heartthrob JD Gunn--her first love--back into her life. Long ago Jo played with JD's band. But they parted ways, and took their own crooked roads to stardom. Now Jo's excited--and terrified--to see him again. When the label reunites them for a show, the old sparks fly, the duet they sing goes viral, and fans begin clamoring for more--igniting the media's interest in the compelling singer. Why is a small-town girl like Jo so quiet about her past? When did she and JD first meet? What split them apart? All too soon, the painful secret she's been hiding is uncovered, a shocking revelation that threatens to destroy her reputation and her dreams. To salvage her life and her career, Jo must finally face the past--and her feelings for JD--to become the true Nashville diva she was meant to be." --Amazon.com.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Sarah Creech's book The Whole Way Home is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,804,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible