The Furthest Station: A PC Grant Novella by…

The Furthest Station: A PC Grant Novella (edition 2018)

by Ben Aaronovitch (Author)

3772041,980 (3.78)42
Member:evareads
Title:The Furthest Station: A PC Grant Novella
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch (Author)
Info:Gollancz (2018), 144 pages
Tags:fantasy

The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovitch

Recently added byHinoki, private library, Bisse, Taliesien, quondame, epaulettes, wisemetis, infoaddict

A friendly sort of a ghost story, where disturbances on London's Metropolitan line lead Peter Grant and all the associates he gathers, willingly or not, into the hunt to a possible kidnapping. ( )
  quondame | Jan 12, 2019 |
A wholly delightful addition to the Rivers of London series. I love what Abigail brings to the table, and this story gives her a chance to show off a little bit. ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 4, 2019 |
Eagerly received, though sad the audio is not yet available.

A thin story, tossed together to stave off hungry fans. Love the introduction of the juvenile River Chess. ( )
  2wonderY | Dec 20, 2018 |
A nice, more or less self-contained case. It's not a wonderful introduction to Peter Grant, because there are a lot of references to earlier cases and events - however, one major character is apparently from The Hanging Tree, which I haven't read yet, and it didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the story. Depends - does a reference to "psychopathic unicorns" make you want to find out where the reference comes from, or does it annoy you that there's no explanation in this story of those events? The case is odd in several ways - the mystery of the basement wall is never explained, or exactly why the crime occurred in the first place. And the way they found out seems...I don't know, wasteful? A storehouse over a century old entirely emptied...but it worked, after all. It's interesting. There are also events and people that will, presumably, echo into later books - Abigail's education, and Chess, in particular. It has successfully drawn me back into to wanting to read the books I haven't gotten to yet. Nice interview with Aaronovitch at the end - he's a very pragmatic sort of person. Fun, worth reading, probably worth rereading, and I'll be keeping an eye out for other novellas like this - about Peter Grant, and others. ( )
1 vote jjmcgaffey | Oct 21, 2018 |
Peter Grant has to investigate reports of ghosts on the metropolitan line, he's stymied by the fact that people forget the event shortly after it happens but there's something not right going on, his cousin is also getting caught up in the entire supernatural stuff.

It's entertaining and will keep me going till the next one. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Sep 19, 2018 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walters, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers. - A Streetcar Named Desire, Tennessee Williams
To Bob Hunter who still doesn't understand his role in making me look good.
Jaget said he'd been watching this documentary on TV about the way people learn to track animals.
No doubt all the microorganisms and miniature water life that Bev says are so vital for a healthy river we’re sucking up nutrients to their hearts’ content befor becoming snacks for the next organism in the great chain of life.  Although  ev says it’s more of a web, shunting various forms of energy around the ecosystem.  Waving the gauntlet of self-organizing complexity in the face of entropy itself.

"There have been ghosts on the London Underground, sad, harmless spectres whose presence does little more than give a frisson to travelling and boost tourism. But now there's a rash of sightings on the Metropolitan Line and these ghosts are frightening, aggressive and seem to be looking for something. Enter PC Peter Grant junior member of the Metropolitan Police's Special Assessment unit a.k.a. The Folly a.k.a. the only police officers whose official duties include ghost hunting. Together with Jaget Kumar, his counterpart at the British Transport Police, he must brave the terrifying the crush of London's rush hour to find the source of the ghosts. Joined by Peter's wannabe wizard cousin, a preschool river god and Toby the ghost hunting dog their investigation takes a darker tone as they realise that a real person's life might just be on the line. And time is running out to save them"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,733,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible