this must be the place

this must be the place

115,452,641 (2)None
Recently added byChayaLovesToRead

No tags.

Writer has a good sense of character; her characters are very distinct, and finely drawn.

The drawback here is that the relationships are not well drawn. The book is episodic, and depicts several relationships in a disjointed, incidental way: we see a few well-chosen scenes for each relationship, only 1 or two sometimes, and as a result, certain actions or developments in the characters or in these relationships don't seem to engage the reader. We don't have an emotional stake in them, and sometimes the events are just baffling.

For example, when Daniel's mother dies, he takes it badly, going so far as falling into a drunken stupor for several days. The problem is, the reader is at a loss to understand this, as the broad strokes the author paints of his relationship with his mother is encapsulated in literally two events: one as a child, accompanying her on a ferry, and a second as an adult, wherein Daniel asks her a question that makes her cry. That's it. We're not told one iota more about what they mean to each other, so Daniel's spiraling out of control is just bewildering.

The shifts in time didn't help cement things for me, either. Left me feeling disjointed, and unsatisfied. No real in-depth development of either characters or relationships. ( )
  ChayaLovesToRead | Feb 28, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,895,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible