Architecture of Survival: Holocaust Diaries…

Architecture of Survival: Holocaust Diaries (WW2 Memoirs Book 1)

322,001,085 (4)None
Recently added bymeggyweg, bemislibrary, Kimmyd76

One thing you guys should know: these are not true diaries, in the sense that they're not written with dated entries, in real time, as events were happening. The books are the editor's father and mother's Holocaust memoirs, written at some indeterminate period after the events occurred. The memoirs are about the parents' Holocaust experiences in the Vilna, Bialystok and Warsaw Ghettos. The mother's memoir, which comes first, is much longer than the father's. The son was a small child during the war.

I really liked these memoirs, and aside from a few typos, thought they were very well-written. However, the book could have really used some further annotation by the son. Mom's memoir describes her experience in the Vilna Ghetto with her husband and son, the husband's escape to Warsaw, her and her son's escape to Bialystok and their experiences there. It ends abruptly after a description of the liquidation of the Bialystok Ghetto. At the time, her husband was still in Warsaw, and his memoir describes the liquidation of the ghetto there. I'm not sure where their son was during this period; the mom had written about placing him in hiding but I'm not sure if he was with her, or in a hiding place being cared for by others.

I finished the book feeling frustrated because I had no idea where, how and when the family reunited and how they all survived the war. It would have been really nice if the son had written a postscript or something to the book that would have explained those details. ( )
  meggyweg | Nov 13, 2017 |
Stein begins his remembrances with stories from Warsaw, Vilius (Vilna) and Bialystok. He talked about beatings, narrow escapes from death, and the desperation he and others felt from deportations to death camps. The author also uses his parent’s diaries to show how their viewpoint differed from that of young child. His memories really illustrate how the Nazis controlled people and methodically decimated the Jewish population in Europe.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway randomly chose me to receive this book. Although encouraged, I was under no obligation to write a review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  bemislibrary | Sep 2, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,926,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible