The Butterfly Project by Emma Scott

The Butterfly Project

by Emma Scott

143683,257 (4)None

*Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for an e-copy in exchange for an honest review.*

Actual Rating: 4

This was SO cute.

The story is written from alternating perspectives. There's Zelda Rossi, who was fourteen when it happened, and she was never the same again. But she channels her anger and grief into her graphic novel. The same graphic novel that was rejected by several comic book publishers, dashing every dream she ever had. Then there's Beckett Copeland. He's still on probation for an armed robbery that sent him to prison for two years, and he's struggling to keep his life together. It's a bit difficult when a criminal is the only thing he feels like he will ever be. Long story short, Zelda needs a place to stay. And Beckett's got a bit of room to spare.

This was amazing. I loved the characters, and they were even better together. To be honest, I wasn't too sure what I was expecting when I opened it up - the cover isn't really what the typically contemporary romance has. But nevertheless, this was a really quick read, with just the right blend of heartache and happiness.

The graphic novel aspect of this book was a delightful plus as well - there are some scenes from Zelda as well, and it was pretty cool to be able to imagine that there was another story within the story.

Nothing about the plot was really surprising; I thought it was pretty predictable, which is why I couldn't give this a full five stars. Nevertheless, it was really a touching story, and I loved that there were subplots - even for the minor characters, which made the book a lot more realistic.

The idea for it is really amazing, and it goes back to something I'd always been interested in: the butterfly effect, or the idea that a butterfly's tiny wings could create changes in the atmosphere. As a metaphor, it refers to how little actions can have large effects - something I think this book expressed beautifully. ( )
  CatherineHsu | Aug 4, 2017 |
The Full Tilt duet from this author is one of my favorites of all time, so I couldn't wait to read this book. I love second chance stories and this was a great one.

I absolutely loved Zelda and Beckett. They were hilarious together and I was fully invested in every part of each of their stories and their stories together. Emma Scott has a way of writing the most endearing characters that you fall in love with.

I will read anything this author writes. I have loved everything I've picked up from her so far and I couldn't put this book down. ( )
  ash85 | Jul 2, 2017 |
A heart-warming story…

The Butterfly Project by Emma Scott is an adult standalone contemporary romance. Due to explicit language and sexual situations, this may not be appropriate for young readers.

Zelda is haunted by her childhood. She left her home in Philadelphia for Las Vegas to get away. Working for a tattoo shop allows her to express her art, however, her goal is to get her graphic novel published. She knows her book is good, but she needs it to be seen. So she heads to New York City with her art materials, a few hundred dollars, and her dream. When things don't work out as she hoped, she stumbles upon a man who gives her some great advice, and she decides to try again.

Beckett is also haunted by a checkered past. He works 2 jobs just to afford his meager apartment. His life is about going through the motions instead of living and he struggles daily to deal with the guilt of one bad decision. While taking a cigarette break at one of this jobs, he meets a down and out girl contemplating leaving the city after rejection. He offers advice which unknowingly begins to add color to his own drab life.

This book was not what I expected and that is both a good and bad thing. I appreciated that while both of the main characters struggled with their past guilt, it didn’t stop them from pursuing a future they both deserved. Beckett could have been a character that would have shied away from the situation, believing he didn’t merit happiness. He didn’t allow himself to keep up his walls that kept him from the possibilities. That was a breath of fresh air.

The downside is that the story had very little drama. While that is mostly a good thing, I was expecting more to happen. Both characters fought misguided beliefs but the struggle was internal. On the outside, they progressed naturally. Again, not necessarily a bad thing, but I felt like the internal struggle was not totally realistic seeing as there was little reluctance to develop meaningful feelings. Zelda was so distraught by her past that she had no real friends and couldn't communicate with family, yet she willingly gave into a friendship with Beckett with no hesitancy.

THE BUTTERFLY PROJECT earns 3.5 North of Normal stars. Overall I enjoyed it, but if there is a sequel or spin-off story for Darlene, I am unlikely to read it. ( )
  cmmccoy | May 23, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,934,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible