Time for Bed: A Pull-the-Tab Book (Pull and…

Time for Bed: A Pull-the-Tab Book (Pull and Play Books)

by Bedouet Thierry

611,796,759NoneNone

~ review copy from publisher

I'm not sure why but I love boardbooks with moving parts. Wheels and slides, I'm as engrossed as toddler by the images that change. And as it happens it was the lousy moving parts of a Bear in the Big Blue House book that in fact motivated my first review, over a decade ago.

TIME FOR BED is what I would call an oversized boardbook and it has moving parts. Each page, except the last, has a slide that lets you or your little one create a little story magic.

The theme of TIME FOR BED is bedtime, of course, and the artwork is in soothing colors. The vignettes show different families of animals getting ready for sleep. And in each scenario the little one has a last request. The little crocodile wants one more hug, while the little bear needs to find his/her stuffed bunny.

The bunny, by the way, is under the blankets and the first image is of a parent pulling up the blanket to see the bunny down at the foot of the bed. Pull the slide, and the resulting drawing shows little bear asleep with bunny in their arms.

~

One of the things I like about this book --besides the slides-- are that different bedtime 'problems' are addressed. The little monkey who doesn't like the dark is soothed by the parent who says, "I'll leave the door open." The little kangaroo who want's mommy to stay is told not to worry, that mommy is right next door. And dad is even given the chance to say that as much as one might want to stay up, that it's best to go to sleep because little cat will need to rest so they will have lots of energy to play tomorrow.

Parents can hopefully parlay the examples given in the book into settling their own children down. You can reassure them that others are worried about the same thing, and that the solution you've suggested is used by lots of people (and animal parents.)

The one possible drawback of this sleepy-time book are the last two pages which have a white background and which show all the children being hugged by their parents in the morning. I think this is great for a daytime read, but I would probably leave it off during a right before bed read.

It's fun.
  PamFamilyLibrary | Mar 2, 2017 |

It's bedtime, but no one can fall asleep! One animal friend says it's too dark, another can't find her bunny, and on just wants to play some more.

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,823,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible