Sweetbriar Cottage by Denise Hunter

Sweetbriar Cottage

by Denise Hunter

This book was really good. I liked how their story intertwined with their story pre-problems. Why I didn't give it a full 5 stars is because the story dragged a little bit. Otherwise really good.

I received a copy from netgalley for my honest review. ( )
  Martha.Louise.Owen | Apr 23, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book by Denise Hunter. I have read several of her books and she is one author that I feel never disappoints. I liked the characters, they seemed very real with all their flaws. I found myself pulling for each of them. I like that she writes clean romance novels. I know I will not feel uncomfortable from any of her content. ( )
  Sandralb | Nov 17, 2017 |
Josephine has been deeply hurt by men and has learned she can’t trust them. That is, until she meets Noah Mitchell. Noah and Josephine are drawn to each other right from the start. Time shows her that Noah is different from other man she’s known and when he asks, she agrees to marry him. Then something happens that devastates Noah and he files for a divorce, gives up the job with his family construction business and moves to a remote horse ranch. Giving him some much needed distance from his one true love. One day Noah receives a letter from the IRS stating that he and Josephine are still married. He confronts Josephine with the letter. Josephine blames herself for their failed marriage and failed divorce. Wanting to somehow make up for it, she decides to deliver the paperwork to his ranch. When a bad spring snowstorm hits, she becomes stranded at Noah’s ranch. Noah struggles with hurt and resentment toward his wife and yet at the same time he still finds himself drawn to her. They call somewhat of a truce because they’re stuck together. When a horse is spooked and runs away they venture out in the storm to find him. Both will be tested beyond their strength and relying on each other in a way they never have before. Josephine finally reveals to Noah about her past; that she’s never experienced unconditional love. Can Noah find it in his heart to completely forgive Josephine and love her like she’s never been loved before? Can Josephine finally trust Noah with her whole heart?

Heart-wrenching, thought-provoking and emotionally-charged are just a few things that come to mind with this story. Although this is a very well-written story it is also a difficult story to read just because of the nature of the situation. I thought the author did a wonderful job of painting a realistic picture of the feelings and emotions of both Noah and Josephine. You learn the background of their story through flashbacks that are intermingled with the present day. Noah and Josephine are both lovable characters that have faults just like the rest of us. To me, that gave them flesh and bone realism. It’s a story that keeps you engaged and cheering on our lead couple. This is a standalone story and I would highly recommend reading the authors note at the end. It was fun and interesting. I also appreciated that there was an epilogue.

*This completely copy was provided by Thomas Nelson through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

A few favorite moments:

“Well, sure. You just send a copy of that final decree, then, and that’ll be the end of it.” The end of it. The divorce had been uncontested, as simple as the act could be, he supposed. But there was nothing simple when it came to separating one flesh.

But whatever God’s reasons are for the things He allows, His love for me, or for Granny or anyone else, isn’t something I question. He settled that one on the cross.”

She was going to believe it. Maybe it didn’t all make sense to her - how God could love someone like her. Or why He allowed some of the things that happened. Maybe she didn’t have to understand everything. She closed her eyes. I'm just going to go ahead and believe, if that’s all right by You, God.

For more information about this book or other books by Denise Hunter, I encourage you to visit her website at http://www.denisehunterbooks.com/index.html ( )
  love2readnovels | Jul 25, 2017 |
I think this has been one of the best books I've read from this author. She captured the hurt and shame of a young woman who carried a secret for a long time When Josie was introduced I immediately identified with her. She is tough, has trouble with relationships and trusting others is not easy for her.

Noah is what every woman longs for. He loves unconditionally and never gives up. He works hard and his tender side really showed up in this story. I loved when Josie went to deliver divorce papers to Noah after a mix-up determined they were still married. All Josie wanted to do was get Noah's signature and be done with another bad relationship. I could feel the tension between the two and knew they had some unfinished business.

The best part of the entire story is when they get trapped in a snow storm and are left to rely on each other. The author does an amazing job of allowing readers to feel the cold and wet snow as her words were so vivid. I could see them shivering and hope disappearing as the day turned to night. Josie has hidden something from Noah during their marriage that has a major impact on their relationship. When Josie begins to let her guard down and tell Noah the terror she went through as a child, I cried. I knew how she felt not believing she was important and wondering where God was. Will Noah forgive Josie for the things she did in their marriage to push Noah away? Can Josie forgive herself and allow God to heal her heart? This is one book that I will never forget. The author does a great job in telling a story about a subject that is painful . She does it with grace and compassion and shows how unconditional love heals wounds. This story could have been written about me, because I lived through what Josie endured starting at age twelve. I can assure the author that she did the story justice and helped me get closer to emotionally healing from wounds that have left me broken for years. To all the Josie's out there, don't give up. To the Noah's out there, thank you for loving unconditionally.

I received a copy of this book from The Fiction Guild. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | Jul 23, 2017 |
This is the second book I have read from this author. My track record is improving. I really enjoyed this book and had a very pleasant time reading it. Although, Noah may have come off as rough around the edges in the beginning, he was all heart by the ending. Yet, his manner did not deter me from warming up to him. I understood where he was coming from and why he was moody.

Instantly, I connected with Josephine aka Josie. She had this innocence about her. She tried to act tough but it came off as more sweet. Yet, she is a fighter. Through all of the adversity that Josie experienced growing up from men, it would have been so easy for Josie to just give up on love all together. I am glad to see that Noah showed Josie what true love looked like. I could feel the labor of love that author, Denise Hunter had for this book. I am looking forward to reading more to come from this author. ( )
  Cherylk | Jul 19, 2017 |

When Noah and Josephine Mitchell discover their divorce was never actually finalized, their lives are turned upside down.

Following his divorce, Noah gave up his dream job, settling at a remote horse ranch in the Blue Ridge Mountains of northern Georgia, putting much-needed distance between himself and the former love of his life. But then Noah gets a letter from the IRS claiming he and Josephine are still married. When he confronts Josephine for the first time in months, they discover that she missed the final step in filing the paperwork and they are, in fact, still married.

Josephine is no happier about the news than Noah. Maybe the failed marriage—and okay, the botched divorce—was her fault, but her heart was shattered right alongside his, more than he would ever believe. The sooner they put this marriage behind them, the better for both of their sakes.

But when Josephine delivers the final paperwork to his ranch, the two become stranded in his cottage during the worst spring snowstorm in a decade. Being trapped with Josephine is a test of Noah’s endurance. He wrestles with resentment and an unmistakable pull to his wife—still beautiful, still brave, and still more intriguing than any woman he’s ever known.

As they find themselves confronted with each other and their shared past, old wounds surface and tempers flare. But when they are forced out into the storm, they must rely on each other in a way they never have before. Josephine finally opens up about her tragic past, and Noah realizes she’s never been loved unconditionally by anyone—including him. Will Noah accept the challenge to pursue Josephine’s heart? And can she finally find the courage to trust Noah?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 13 Mar 2017 05:59:34 -0400)

"From the bestselling author of The Convenient Groom (now a beloved Hallmark Original movie), comes a story of unconditional love and second chances"-- "When Noah and Josephine Mitchell discover their divorce was never actually finalized, their lives are turned upside down ... Following his divorce, Noah gave up his dream job, settling at a remote horse ranch in the Blue Ridge Mountains of northern Georgia, putting much-needed distance between himself and the former love of his life. But then Noah gets a letter from the IRS claiming he and Josephine are still married. Still angry over the demise of their marriage, he confronts her for the first time in months. They discover that Josephine neglected to file the final paperwork and they are, in fact, still married. Josephine is no happier about the news than Noah. Maybe the failed marriage--and okay, the botched divorce--was her fault, but her heart was shattered right alongside his, more than he would ever believe. The sooner they put this marriage behind them, the better for both of their sakes. But when Josephine delivers the final paperwork to his ranch, the two become stranded in his cottage during the worst spring snowstorm in a decade. For Noah, being trapped with Josephine is a test of endurance. He wrestles with resentment and his inability to forgive her, but underneath it all the embers of love still glow. Josephine's very survival depends on her ability to fight the feelings that never went away. And bearing up under the heavy burden of guilt is no picnic either. Old wounds surface and tempers flare as the storm brews outside. But when their situation worsens, they are forced to connect in a way they never have before. Josephine finally opens up about her tragic past, and Noah realizes she's never been loved unconditionally by anyone--including him. Will Noah accept the challenge to pursue Josephine's heart? And can she finally find the courage to trust Noah?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,803,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible