Whipping Star by Frank Herbert

Whipping Star (1969)

by Frank Herbert

Series: ConSentiency Series (3)

9951912,969 (3.65)18

English (16)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (19)
What I liked: the cover art and the font chosen for the title

What I didn't like: the story

I'll be a little more charitable: I do like Herbert's writing style, even when I don't like what he's writing about. It was very easy to whiz right through this book but finishing left me totally unfulfilled.

A downright silly story, the plot is right out of a comic book. And I'm not talking a "Days of Futures Past" or "Dark Knight" style classic, I'm talking a throw-away "Marvel Two-In-One" plot line. ( )
  pahoota | Aug 31, 2017 |
I think this was my second favorite of Herbert's books, following Dune. It didn't go exactly where I expected. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
I read Herbert's Dune Messiah when I was 11 (it was what I could afford at a school book fair), not realizing it was a sequel. It was confusing to a 5th grader. A few years later, I read The Dosadi Experiment, also not realizing that it was a sequel...of sorts. Also confusing. What a Mind Herbert had! Creating the alien concepts...alien interactions .. much more challenging than straight up human-only science fiction. I wish he had written more of these rather than churning out the drivel of the later Dune chain, which jumped the shark for me halfway through God Emperor... ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I can’t explain how I feel about this book without this first paragraph. There are minor spoilers in it, but nearly all of them are made pretty clear early on in the novel. Whipping Star‘s plot more or less boils down to this: a sadistic, psychotic woman with vast amounts of wealth – who was obliged to undergo conditioning so she wouldn’t be able to tolerate seeing pain in others anymore – has her minions nonetheless whip (with an actual bullwhip) a godlike alien (visible to humans as a small star the size of a big football & the shape of a spoon) that has the power to transport everything across space & time in the blink of an eye. Our villain can do this because the alien shows no feelings of pain. The alien lets her do this because it willingly entered a contract with her: being whipped in exchange for knowledge about humanity. However, in the very near future, the alien (that calls itself Fanny Mae!) will die because of the whippings, and when it dies, it will cause all other sentient beings – including humanity and a host of other aliens – to die instantly. There’s a kind of government agent trying to solve the problem, but the alien has hidden the sadistic women on some planet in another dimension as part of the contract.

Well – and you thought giant sandworms were odd.

(...)

Whipping Star is definitely interesting for its goofiness. I’d even say this: as it isn’t a timeless classic like Dune, it might even be more interesting than Dune – that is, for those interested in the history of SF, and for scholars of the times in which it was published.

(...)

Please continue reading on Weighing A Pig... ( )
  bormgans | Nov 11, 2016 |
This book really deserves 3.5 stars, but since Goodreads doesn't allow that level of granularity.... Anyway, worth a reading. Not mind blowing, but there are definitely some very interesting ideas in here. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alexander, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lurton Blassingame, who helped buy the time for this book, dedicated with affection and admiration.
Furuneo was his name.

Time was running out when McKie found the last Caleban.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,536,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible