Angel With Steel Wings: Women of Courage…

Angel With Steel Wings: Women of Courage Series

by Anne Greene

442,354,315 (5)None
Recently added byHarley0326, grammy57, jbarr5

No tags.

This is the first book that I have read by this author and it will not be my last. The author writes a story that captures the period during WWII with accuracy. I learned many things about the war and especially about the WASPS. This group of women have courage, loyalty and love for their country. The author has given us very strong female characters and I could not put this book down.

Mandy has taken on the task of testing war planes that have been repaired. It is a dangerous job but she has confidence that she can do it. Not everyone believes that women should be pilots and in the story it is very evident that someone is out to sabotage the mission. Who wants to hurt members of the WASP? I loved Mandy's spunk and her desire to be the best pilot she could.The story is so well written that I felt like I was in the cockpit with Mandy as she did maneuvers . I could hear the roar of the engine as she raced across the sky and saw the determination on her face as she came in for a landing. Will Mandy be allowed to fly missions ?

Major Harvey Applegate is a strong character and I loved reading about his son. Harvey is not very accepting of Mandy when he finds out she is a pilot. They do clash at times and makes the story very realistic. I can't imagine what it must have been like during wartime knowing that as you fly your plane, danger surrounds you. Why does Harvey have misgivings about the WASP? I loved how the author showed the characters calling out to God during trying times and depended on Him as they flew missions.

The story takes us inside the war and gives a vivid picture of what it was like for the men and women who served. As Mandy and Harvey start to have feelings, the threat of one of them being called up for a mission is imminent. Will Harvey share his feelings with Mandy before it is to late? Can Mandy trust God to keep her and Harvey safe? This is one story that I didn't want to end. The characters are brilliantly written and the story is so engrossing you can't put it down. I can't wait to get my hands on another book by this author .

I received a copy of this book from the author and The BookClub Network. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | Mar 17, 2017 |
Angel With Steel Wings by Anne Greene is a historical romance set in WWII. It tells some of the history of the WASP program. The book is very well written. The main character, two main and two almost main, were very well depicted and developed. The sub-characters were interesting also. She did a good job of bringing them all to life. You felt like you had, at least, actually met them if not knew them. The story line moves well and goes back and forth between the main characters. I did have trouble at the beginning, it was a little bit of a slower start but part of the problem was on my end. I received the book in PDF format and converted it to MOBI, this made the layout a bit odd and more difficult to read. But, at the beginning the dialog was slightly stilted but not for long. It moves from this to a very interesting book. There were very few editing errors. A couple of wrong words was about all. Nothing in the editing department to make the book annoying. Editing is a big deal for me. If it's badly edited, no matter how interesting the story, it can be a deal breaker. You will not be disappointed in this book. It's not overly preachy but does show God's grace and mercy. This book is for anyone who enjoys history, a good Christian book, and/or a good romance. I wrote this review of my own accord. I was given this book through Bookfun.org. ( )
  grammy57 | Mar 3, 2017 |
  grammy57 | Mar 3, 2017 |
Angel with Steel Wings by Anne Greene
Liked the idea of the storyline and within a chapter we were looking up information about Camp Davis as we had not heard of it. Which also got us to look up the WASP, women pilot program to see what it was all about.
Mandy is stationed at Camp Davis, NC and she helps fly repair planes and other jobs. She loves being in the air and knows her machines. The women have been grounded and they gather together and Mandy is the one who might be able to change all that for them by becoming flirty with the Major. She reads her Bible daily and often calls on God for more assistance.
They meet for a blind date and she learns many things about him, his deceased wife and their son. At one tim she helps babysit for the handicap boy and they bond. Major even takes her up as a co pilot in a new plane to her so she can learn about it.
He might have the solution to getting the women back up in the air again-it would mean she has to relocate and be away from that Camp....her goal is to get the knowledge and time behind the wheel in order to buy half of the home local airport system.
He has his own dilemnas to find solutions for as he knows he will be in the war in a few months time. Love how he becomes a child of God.
Parts I like are just learning about the women pilots and the Camp, planes, mysteries surrounding the ailing plane crashes, her bond with the boy and straight forward language used-kinda threw me for a bit.
Like how story follows Mandy and also Harvey as he travels overseas-seeing things for the very first time.
Loved parts where they talk of felling the trees and later teaching her which trees and birds they were looking at.
Love career choices, romance, travel, action, praying to God, adventure and mysteries-a bit of something for everyone.
I was given the book by Book Fun (The Book Club Network) and here is my honest review. ( )
  jbarr5 | Feb 20, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,765,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible