Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King

Gwendy's Button Box (edition 2017)

by Stephen King (Author)

Member:Wazeau
Title:Gwendy's Button Box
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Cemetery Dance Pubns (2017), Edition: World's First Edition and First Printing, 180 pages

Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King

Short novel about Gwendy, who becomes the custodian of a mysterious box that dispenses magical chocolates and coins and may have the power to destroy the world. Slight but recognizably King-esque, a little more hopeful than I would have expected. ( )
  rivkat | May 25, 2017 |
A short creative read by the "King" of horror. It's not what I was expecting, it's not scary but it's a little chilling and a little haunting. The novella opens with Gwendy running up the "suicide stairs." She's going to be entering the seventh grade soon and she's determined to lose her baby fat. At the top of the stairs a gentleman all in black sits on a bench. He introduces himself and beckons Gwendy to come over. Against all her instincts she does and he presents her with a beautiful little button box. One button when pressed will produce a small chocolate animal that satisfies the eater, another produces silver coins. The ones in the middle represent every continent and there is a black and red one as well. To press those is to cause calamity. Of what sort, Gwendy does not know. The man gives Gwendy the box as a gift, for it will change her life in wonderful ways, but it is also a huge burden, and over time it's all she can think about. What would happen if she pushed those other buttons. Can she keep her curiosity in check? ( )
  ecataldi | May 23, 2017 |
I had thought this was a full novel, so was a bit disappointed it wasn't. Chubby, young Gwendy, during the summer before Middle School encounters a strange man with a strange gift.

I liked the book, but it left me wanting. Gwendy's almost a little TOO good, there's horror but it's not horrifying. I don't know. I just felt a bit disappointed when I was done. ( )
  randirousseau | May 17, 2017 |
Although this should have been categorized as a novella it was not and it was a very, very short read. However short it was, the story telling was intense and the concept of the story was very interesting. The character of Gwendy was fully fleshed and the time span made this a very interesting book for those of us who had lived as adults or young adults through the ‘70’s.

The “what if” theme is one that has been done numerous times, but the way Mr. King and Mr. Chizmar handled it made it seem new and fresh. The story does make the reader think very hard about how they would react to having this much power at their disposal and if the reader could handle it as Gwendy did.

I really enjoyed and was captivated by this book. It really did make me think ‘what would I do’. I think it is going to be right up there with my other Stephen King go-to-reread: The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

So many popular authors are collaborating lately. And a lot of them work out very well (Agnes and the Hitman Aug 21, 2007 by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer) for one. It amazes me that so many readers are finding it repugnant the Mr. King has done so and it really isn't his first time (The Talisman: A Novel Sep 25, 2012 by Stephen King and Peter Straub) or his last (Sleeping Beauties: A Novel Sep 26, 2017by Stephen King and Owen King). ( )
  Cats57 | May 16, 2017 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chizmar, Richardmain authorall editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,511,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible