A Little History of Economics by Niall…

A Little History of Economics

by Niall Kishtainy

I expected a little better of this book since it was recommended by the History Book Club. I have already mentioned it on Facebook as a source of a "stupidest thing I will read today" for the sentence "Under capitalism, if you work hard and are really good at your job you make lots of money." I won't say that the entire work is written at that level of obtuseness, but it certainly presents a simplistic view of the world. Each chapter presents a period of history or a set of related economic theories. It appears to be written at an eighth-grade level ( I checked the readability score with Microsoft Word). Not what I expect in a book sold for adult audiences. ( )
  ritaer | May 22, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0300206364, Hardcover)

A lively, inviting account of the history of economics, told through events from ancient to modern times and the ideas of great thinkers in the field

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 05 Mar 2017 16:50:04 -0500)

What causes poverty? Are economic crises inevitable under capitalism? Is government intervention in an economy a helpful approach or a disastrous idea? The answers to such basic economic questions matter to everyone, yet the unfamiliar jargon and math of economics can seem daunting. This clear, accessible, and even humorous book is ideal for young readers new to economics and for all readers who seek a better understanding of the full sweep of economic history and ideas. Economic historian Niall Kishtainy organizes short, chronological chapters that center on big ideas and events. He recounts the contributions of key thinkers including Adam Smith, David Ricardo, Karl Marx, John Maynard Keynes, and others, while examining topics ranging from the invention of money and the rise of agrarianism to the Great Depression, entrepreneurship, environmental destruction, inequality, and behavioral economics. The result is a uniquely enjoyable volume that succeeds in illuminating the economic ideas and forces that shape our world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,914,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible