72 Hours by Bella Jewel

72 Hours

by Bella Jewel

No tags.

72 HOURS by Bella Jewel is a book I feel I've read before, but it isn't. The basic concept has a broken romance couple captured by a crazed killer, brought to his private hunting preserve somewhere near Orlando, Florida, and told they have a 72 hour head start before they will be tracked and killed.
Lara was a very confidant young woman until her boldness when she and her grandmother were set upon by some rowdy teens. Grandma died and Lara blames herself. Noah, we don't find out much about him except he is very sexy and likes to say the word "fuck" every chance he gets. As a noun, verb, adjective and adverb, almost every sentence it seems..
They broke up because she caught him with a woman on his lap in his office, but it is all a misunderstanding. In this "romance" type of story there is always a misunderstanding. And one of the two will not speak to the other even though we all know that is what has to happen. So there is that level of predictability to the story.
The hunting action manages to bring to two together even though the psycho hunter never thought that the facing of adversity could be a unifying factor in any relationship. Bryce, the hunter is given no motivation to do anything to this couple so we are left to assume he is going to the trouble of years of prep work just because he likes to kill dysfunctional couples.
This isn't a romance because, well, there isn't any romance in it. It is hardly suspenseful because you can figure out what will happen in 90% of the story. That only leaves thriller to cover it, but the concepts behind the set-up are so thin that there is hardly any thrill to it.
On the plus side, my copy was double spaced and there is a great deal of short dialog used, so if you decide to read 72 HOURS it won't take you much time at all. ( )
  TomDonaghey | May 6, 2017 |
This was such an entertaining book! I picked this book planning to read just a bit to get a feel for the story. Before I even knew what I happened, I had finished the entire book in a single afternoon. The whole concept behind this story is incredibly exciting and everything came together very well. I am so glad that I decided to give Bella Jewel's writing a try.

Lara and Noah used to be a couple but now they can't seem to even be able to talk to each other. Noah wants to talk and tries to get Lara to listen to him but she doesn't want anything to do with him. I have to admit that at the start of the book, I didn't really care for Noah or really Lara all that much. Lara's backstory was interesting so I was curious about her but Noah really was quite stalkerish at the start of the story.

Lara and Noah wake up and find themselves in the woods and learn that they have 72 hours before they are hunted. They finally have their talk and all as forgiven between each other and they work together to try to escape the wooded area they have found themselves in. They soon find a fence and decide that they need to prepare for their attacker.

Once they are in the woods, this is a pretty fast paced book. They are either planning in order to survive or actively working to evade the man who is trying to kill them. It was fun watching them work together to outsmart the killer and even when things calmed a bit there was always a bit of tension because you never knew when he would return.

This book was incredibly entertaining but there were some things that were very far fetched. This pair both seemed to be able to do some pretty amazing things despite some pretty serious injuries. In reality, they would not have stood any kind of chance against a man with weapons and years to plan. I understood this but to be honest, it didn't make me like the book any less. I keep thinking that every action movie that I have ever watched has some of these same unrealistic tendencies.

I would highly recommend this book to fans of romantic suspense looking for an action filled and fast paced story. I look forward to Bella Jewel's next romantic suspense novel.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Apr 6, 2017 |
72 Hours by Bella Jewel

Three days in which to find a way out of their predicament or die horribly – that is what ex-lovers Noah and Lara are faced with when they are captured by a psychopathic murderer. They must deal with their past relational issues as well as manage to survive in an enclosed Florida forest. There is pain, hunger, and the need to find a way to thwart their abductor if they are to survive.

This book was told in first person and predominately from Lara’s viewpoint. There were scattered thoughts of the villain and once or twice Noah’s point of view was shared. Both Noah and Lara were strong characters that did not give up. I enjoyed this action-packed story and found it entertaining but would have liked to have had more backstory about the villain and perhaps more about Lara and Noah, as well.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the ARC – this is my honest review.

3 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Apr 3, 2017 |
I did not need 72 hours to finish this book. This is a very, quick read. Noah and Lara together as a couple was nice. I did feel the anguish and love they had endured in the past and the love they had for each other now. I am glad that this story did not try to be like other horror stories. Yet, there was no gore. This was a nice romantic suspense novel.

Although, Noah was the one that really took the lead. If it was not for him encouraging Lara to survive, she would have ended up dead. At times she did fight but not without a lot of whining as well. Yet, she pulled it together in the end. I just wished that she had done so a lot sooner. I wanted to see that Lara though out the whole story.

Additionally, this book may have been a romantic suspense but the romance was mild. It balanced out well with the story and did not distract. I am interested to see what the author has in store with the next book. ( )
  Cherylk | Mar 12, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,486,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible