The Right Kind of Rogue by Valerie Bowman

The Right Kind of Rogue

by Valerie Bowman

Full review appeared on Reader's Edyn on 11/03/17

Margaret (Meg) Timmons has been in love with Hart for years; ever since he stood up for her. Her parents have been disappointed with her since day one an oohing she ever does is right. Constantly put down, the only acceptance this wall flower has ever known comes from her best friend, Sarah and Sarah’s brother, Hart. Now that Hart had resigned himself to settling down and producing an heir – sort of – Meg realizes this is her only shot to try and make Hart notice her. She wants to do things on her own terms, but finally concedes to allow her co-conspirator to pull her off the wall and bloom before all. And Hart finally takes notice.

Hart Highfield has been putting matrimony off for long enough. He’s got a responsibility to produce an heir, but this rogue is averse to any part of wedded bliss – especially since it doesn’t exist. Sure, his sister seems quite happy in her marriage, but I was a long road to get there for her; and his parents have been anything but an example of a happily married couple. He needs to find an acceptable woman, do his duty, and then get right back to his roguish ways. But Meg has thrown him for a loop. She’s like no one he’s ever encountered, and he finds he looks forward to spending more time with her. Odd since he’s known her forever, but never really noticed her in that way. He feels like he can trust her, which doesn’t come easy after the debacle with his former intended. But when a staged interlude compromises her, he begins to think Meg should never have been trusted either. His problem now hangs up on the fac t that he can’t resist the vixen, despite her deceitful betrayal.

I have just been falling in love with the latest Historical Romance authors I have experienced lately. Ms. Bowman is another new author for me. Initially, I was caught by the cover and after reading the blurb, I knew I needed to read this book. I am so happy that I did so. This book is truly fabulous with just the right amount of everything I look for in a book. The reluctant wallflower that knows it’s now or never and becomes somewhat emboldened in her quest to be noticed by the man she loves; the perfect rogue who is beyond disinclined to give up his bachelor status; a budding romance that said rogue resists; the undeniable chemistry between both; the hilarious, matchmaking Duchess; a best friend with the best intentions; a scandal that threatens to unravel all … I mean seriously, I could go on. I absolutely fell in love with these characters and never once put the book down until they reached their HEA. This book was a bit of a ride, slowly working toward the ending I desperately wanted for Meg and Hart, then beginning the roller coaster of the ups and downs. Progress was made, only have it ripped away by misunderstandings or stubbornness, within reach, then snatched away again, until I was fearful they might end up hurting one another and never reaching their full potential. But therein lies the beauty of HEA … despite the fear of the elusive love matches, somehow everything eventually comes full circle and the characters find everything they ever needed within one another. *le sigh*

I really enjoyed the easy banter between Meg and Hart and how Meg behaved naturally when interacting with Hart. Hart kept finding the things Meg did adorable and even when they risked compromise, he still offered to stand up for her honorable heir and all that. Both were truly spectacular people and although things got rocky for a bit, neither compromised who they really were - what attracted one another. I was annoyed a bit by Sarah, but understood that she just didn’t want to see Meg get hurt. Given the information provided about her marriage though, I would have expected her to come around to Lucy’s way of thinking a bit sooner. It was almost comical, Meg’s inability to see Hart’s attraction to her. Admittedly, I didn’t quite understand the “Playful Brides” series title until a bit later – which was spectacular! 😊 Ms. Bowman will now be another of my go-to authors. She creates a beautiful world to get lost in filled with fun, fanciful, witty, clever, characters – both main and supporting – that you want to jump right back in with at the conclusion of the novel. Thankfully, this book is part of a series and you can bet I will be reading each and every book within. The added benefit that I was able to read the book out of order without losing any part of the story is also wonderful. In fact, knowing I have an opportunity to read more about these charters was thrilling. At this point, I’m toying with rearranging my review schedule to try and fit in another of the books. 😊 Lovers of HR are sure to be pleased with Ms. Bowman and her flawless world within the English ton. I know I was!

Kindle version provided by St. Martin’s Press/NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  GzNKz4evr | Dec 9, 2017 |
This is a fun and playful book like the series name says. I really enjoyed all the characters. My favorite was Lucy who is the matchmaker. She was so devious. I loved reading how Meg and Hart grow to love each other and grow up in many ways. I received this book from Netgalley for a blog tour for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Nov 3, 2017 |
I’m relatively new to the Playful Brides series, having started at book 7, NEVER TRUST A PIRATE and loved it. So when I was invited to read and review the latest installment, I jumped at the chance. I was not disappointed!

I would describe this story as ROMEO AND JULIET (ish) with a very different ending. Enemy parents and a scheming matchmaker make for a very interesting and captivating story. Even though we get glimpses of characters from previous books, it can be read as a stand-alone with no problems.

Withering wallflower Meg Timmons is compassionate, devoted and unmarried. Sadly enough, she’s also very lonely. She is definitely a very likable heroine.

Viscount Hart Highgate is reckless, drinks too much and has been avoiding the marriage mart like the plague. He’s also kind, witty and charitable. When he stood up for Meg.... he gained my admiration. I would’ve fell in love with him too!

The secondary characters play an integral part in this story. Poor Meg doesn’t stand a chance with Lucy and Sarah acting as matchmakers….. calamity (and a possible scandal) ensues.
This book is a well balanced dose of wit, drama and romance. Finding out how the story unfolds had me turning the pages up to the end.

I received a review copy for Celtic Dragon Book Reviews. All opinions are my own. ( )
  CelticBookDragon | Nov 2, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book. It is not often that I read historical romances anymore. Not because I don't like this genre as I used to read them all the time. With this book, I liked how I was easily able to form a connection with the characters and story. Meg is not the shy wallflower that you might expect from these types of books. She does not need a hero like Hart to save her. Yet, she is not so strong that she is immune to Hart's charms. Although, when it came to Hart, I like that he was not ignorant or pompous. He was kind.

However, Meg and Hart were not the only stars of this book. Hart's younger, sister, Sarah and Duchess Lucy Hunt were great as well. They helped provide entertainment. Lucy being older spoke her mind. She seemed to be not cut from the same cloth as the rest of high society. Sarah is Meg's best friend and confidant.

Than there is the chemistry between Meg and Hart. It was there and it was real. I like that they shared a history together of having kissed before that no one else knew about. They made a good couple. Easy reading. ( )
  Cherylk | Oct 30, 2017 |
Another star crossed romance!

Really, by now the ladies of the ton should know better than to entertain Lucy Hunt's grand schemes relating to marriage.
'Lucy Hunt. The young, dashing Duchess of Claringdon was a favorite of the ton. She was rich. She was beautiful. She was outspoken. And she was master of planning plots' always a near disaster and with a generous helping of agonizing anticipation.
Meg has loved her best friend Sarah's brother, Viscount Hart Highgate, since she was sixteen. Hart has decided to marry but his parents' example leaves him cold. There's no way Hart would even consider Meg, especially as they're parents have been at odds for years. With parents like these two have who needs enemies. Although he does have five good reasons to help Sarah find Meg a husband.
Lucy Hunt decides to take Meg Timmons under her wing and help the situation along. Talk about from the frying pan into the fire! Meg's romantic efforts guided by Lucy certainly run that course.
Sometimes a romance starts with a kiss and life unfolds beautifully, but for Meg and Hart the obstacle course is rough with gaping pitfalls.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Oct 28, 2017 |

Valerie Bowman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,071,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible