Allie's Garden by Sabra Chebby

Allie's Garden

by Sabra Chebby

421,664,912 (5)None
1709 (1) BB (1) new (1) to-read (1)

This sweet little board book reminded me of Juana Medina's 1 Big Salad which mixes photographs of vegetables with pen and ink drawings. Osborn and Chebby, however, have created a cute story that is all their own.

Allie, a sweet little girl in pigtails and jumper, goes out to the garden to collect vegetables. But this is no ordinary garden! The corn towers over Allie, a tomato is bigger than her head, and she barely see over a lettuce. Not only that, there are creatures in the garden; a carrot fox, zucchini snake, and pink potato rabbit all want their share. Allie shoes them away, and returns home with her basket full of vegetables, just right for her mom to make her a salad.

I thought the illustrations were super cute, but they also really confused me. Allie is miniature, the creatures are all made out of vegetables but are also eating them? Somehow when Allie picks the vegetables they miniaturize into her basket. The rhyming text is fine, but not particularly outstanding, "I was pulling up lettuce/and happened to see/a floppy eared bunny/sniff, sniffing at me."

Verdict: I would have been interested in this as a picture book. The dimensions of the art will confuse babies and toddlers and older children will be just as confused by the lack of explanation for the changes in size and why the vegetable animals are...eating themselves? A cute idea and will probably circulate, but most of interest to places that have a lot of gardeners.

ISBN: 9781936669530; Published 2017 by blue manatee press; Borrowed from another library in my consortium
  JeanLittleLibrary | Sep 23, 2017 |
Allie's Garden is a delightful board book to encourage eating vegetables. The artwork caught my eye first as it comprises of hand drawn cartoon-like Allie, photos of the plants and the animals made from cut up vegetables (a bunny of cut potato pieces, a snake of cut cucumber and pepper for examples). The text is in verse with believable events occurring when you go to the garden to harvest vegetables. Basic counting to five can be reviewed to count the three tomatoes or four ears of corn to add some interaction on each page. I received a copy for review from Goodreads. ( )
  stacypilot | Mar 13, 2017 |

When a little girl goes to her garden to harvest vegetables, she comes into contact with animals made from vegetables, including a carrot fox and a zucchini snake.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,148,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible