Crossing the Street by Molly D Campbell

Crossing the Street

by Molly D Campbell

Crossing The Street is a compelling women's fiction story that easily draws the reader into the drama and emotions that come with the complexity of life, the dynamics of relationships, learning to confront one's past, and the ability to make new life choices.

Set in the small town of Framington, Ohio, the reader can't help but get drawn into Rebecca's story as she faces the complexities in her life, and finds herself at a crossroad that will lead her on a personal journey of self-discovery.

Author Molly D. Campbell weaves an intriguing women's fiction story that will easily keep the reader engaged and turning the pages. Rebecca's story has a great mixture of humor, drama, angst, heartbreak, and crazy trials and tribulations, but her journey of personal discovery is realistic and compelling, it is the kind of story that anyone can relate to, and you can't help but cheer Rebecca on as she finds her way and is able to cross the next "street" in her life.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention how much I enjoyed following Rebecca's endearing and often times humorous relationships with her two best friends, Gail Boatwright, a single real estate agent, and Ella Bowers, an eighty-three year old widow, who is taking care of her grandson's eight year old daughter Bob (Roberta) while he is deployed in the Middle East. The best part is when Rebecca befriends little Bob, and she discovers that this wise beyond the years little girl has worked her way into her heart!

Crossing The Street is a delightful women's fiction story of personal self-discovery, and learning to survive life's challenges and twists and turns, in order to move forward and find happiness in one's life.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author / publisher in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Providence Book Promotions.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2017/07/crossing-street-by-molly-d-cam... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Jul 2, 2017 |
Rebecca "Beck" Throckmorton decided at a very early age that she didn't want children. Her one serious relationship ended because he wanted children and she didn't. Unfortunately for Beck, he then decided to marry and have children with Beck's sister. Now Beck is a thirty-something-year-old author of women's erotic fiction, part-time barista, cat owner, and her life has stalled. One of her best friends is an octogenarian, Ella, and her other best friend, Gail, she's known since elementary school. It's bad enough that Beck's sister Diana married the one-that-got-away and is now pregnant, Beck's friend Ella is now guardian to a lively eight-year-old girl. Crossing the Street by Molly D. Campbell is the story of the twists-and-turns in life, the complications of friendship and family, and love.

I found Crossing the Street to be a fast-paced, quick, and enjoyable read. I liked Beck despite all of her drama. I fell in love with eight-year-old Bob (Roberta). For someone that doesn't want children and is mad at her sister, Beck does an admirable job of stepping up and taking care of her eight-year-old neighbor, her infant nephew, and her sister. There were parts of this story that made me smile, parts that made me laugh (Beck describing her "blind dates" set up by Gail is priceless), and parts that brought a tear to my eye (almost everything dealing with Bob's past). Although classified as women's fiction, I don't think Crossing the Street can be classified as just one type of story as it is part coming-of-age (for Beck), part family saga, part love story (not romantic love but familial and friendship love), part tragedy, and part comedy. Ms. Campbell has created characters and action that are realistic and wholly believable. I wholeheartedly recommend you grab a copy of Crossing the Street if you're looking for something to read that's just a little bit different. I enjoyed reading Crossing the Street and look forward to reading more from Ms. Campbell.

This review originally posted at www.thebookdivasreads.com on 05/11/2017. ( )
  BookDivasReads | May 11, 2017 |
I would like to thank NetGalley, Story Plant, and Molly D. Campbell for the ARC of "Crossing the Street" by Molly D. Campbell for my honest review.
The genre for this book is Women's Fiction.
I found that Molly D. Campbell describes flawed, complex, and complicated characters. These characters are likeable at times, and not likeable at times. These characters remind me of my friends, neighbors, and family.
Rebecca is friends with Ella, an eighty year old neighbor. Rebecca comes from a dysfunctional family and shows anger and hostility towards her sister for marrying her old boyfriend. Her sister and husband are now expecting a baby.
Rebecca writes erotic novels to support herself and also works at Starbucks. Ella gets news that her great grand daughter is going to be coming to live with her. Ella's grandson is in the service overseas. Ella is frail and falls, and Rebecca helps both Ella and Bob, her great grand daughter.
Bob is eight years old and is quite mature and precocious. Although Bob is a young girl who has had a tough time while her Dad is away, she seems to have "adult" reasoning. She teaches her Grandmother to text and e-mail. Bob helps Rebecca cook, and tries to help with Rebecca's relationships. I really liked Bob! She has lots of spunk.
I find that Molly D. Campbell, shows growth and understanding, the importance of friends,neighbors and family, and love of animals. The author also shows emotion through her characters, anger, hate, forgiveness, compassion,and love.
I enjoyed this book and would recommend it highly. I had a few "Kleenex" moments. ( )
  teachlz | Mar 19, 2017 |

MODERN & CONTEMPORARY FICTION (POST C 1945). This wasn t the way Beck Throckmorton had planned it. She wasn t expecting to find herself in her thirties writing erotica and making flat whites for a living while she stewed over that fact that her ex had wound up with her sister. She never saw herself living in a small suburban Ohio town with an octogenarian neighbor best friend. And she definitely wouldn t have imagined the eight-year-old great-granddaughter of that friend turning her world upside down. As summer comes around, Beck s life is unsettled in every way. And that s before the crazy stuff starts: the sister taunting her with her pregnancy, the infuriatingly perfect boyfriend, the multiple trips to the emergency room. The needy, wise-beyond-her-years little girl finding places in her heart that Beck didn t even know existed. Beck has found herself at an emotional intersection she never anticipated. And now it s time to cross the street.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,931,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible