When I Cast Your Shadow by Sarah Porter

When I Cast Your Shadow

by Sarah Porter

*I won this as part of a Goodreads Giveaway.*

This book was awful. It took me 30 days to drag myself through it. I could probably stop right there and that would be enough of a review.

I honestly should have DNF'd it, but I thought it might redeem itself. It didn't.

I think the underlying message was probably something to do with you shouldn't hold people up on pedestals, and people are never what they seem. But this story took a ridiculous, stupidly long way to get to that with no real resolution.

The premise was what reeled me in, because I thought it would be a creepy read, good for going into fall. And it sounded like a fresh twist on a ghost story.

It's creepy alright. But not in that "ooh i've got chills" feeling. More in the "ew really?" way.

There are hints of incest-like devotion between Dashiell and Ruby (siblings). Dash kisses her at one point and I think I literally groaned out loud and muttered something about this. Ruby's love/devotion to Dash is just strange because Dash is a huge douche, both living and dead.

Everett is way too nerdy throughout most of the story, and Ruby seems like a whiny baby of a character. She's constantly crying.

And the supporting cast of characters is no better. They're all there to fill shallow bits of time in the story but play no major part.

The end of this wraps up far too neatly, and Dash's character "evolution" is not believable in the slightest. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
DNF @ 14%

"People almost never believe things because they're objectively true. They just believe in whatever made-up reality hurts them the least."

I wanted to like this, I really did. I was excited for the gritty mystery and dark paranormal elements to the story, but I did not like the characters or the writing - specifically the dialogue. I found the dialogue to be very juvenile. For me, it didn't fit with the tone of the story and the harsh threats that were present. I also didn't like any of the characters.

Ruby is incredibly naive, frustratingly so, and is completely blinded by her brother, only seeing him through rose-color glasses where he was a misunderstood genius, who was thoughtful and more lovable than she could ever hope to be. Her father is also kind of a psychopath, who readily admits he wish that Dash had died as an infant to prevent the taint of his influence from reaching Ruby and Everett. Everett was probably the most likable, but it seemed like even his chapters were focused on Ruby, not on his feelings or mindset.

This book just wasn't for me. I liked the idea of the books more than the actual book itself. The characters, Ruby especially, made it difficult to get into. I couldn't appreciate the dark elements of the story because of Ruby's personality and the dialogue's immaturity.

Hopefully other's will love this book, but it wasn't for me.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Apr 27, 2018 |
Following his overdose, Dash begins visiting his sister Ruby in her dreams in an attempt to possess her and return to the world of the living, but Ruby's twin Everett is intent on saving Ruby from Dash's clutches. ( )
  ShellyPYA | Feb 22, 2018 |

“Engrossing.”―Kendare Blake, New York Times bestselling author of Three Dark Crowns

“Darkly seductive. Sarah Porter’s writing glitters and her storytelling stuns in this twisted tale of siblings, love, and death.” ―Stephanie Garber, New York Times bestselling author of Caraval

A unique and heart-wrenching exploration of haunting, grief, and loss that will appeal to teenage fans of Kendare Blake, Madeline Roux, and Ransom Riggs.

A TEENAGE GIRL CALLS HER BELOVED OLDER BROTHER BACK FROM THE GRAVE, WITH DISASTROUS CONSEQUENCES....

Dashiell Bohnacker was hell on his family while he was alive. But it’s even worse now that he’s dead....

After her older brother, Dashiell, dies of an overdose, sixteen-year-old Ruby is overcome by grief and longing. She doesn’t know that Dashiell’s ghost is using her nightly dreams of him as a way to possess her body―and to persuade her twin brother, Everett, to submit to possession as well.

Dashiell tells Ruby and Everett that he’s returned from the Land of the Dead to tie up loose ends, but he’s actually on the run from forces crueler and more powerful than anything the Bohnacker twins have ever imagined....

“Engrossing. Filled with nightmarish dreamscapes and menacing villains, it also treads the tender terrain of family....Highly recommended!”Kendare Blake, New York Times bestselling author of Three Dark Crowns

“You'll never think of your nightmares the same way again. Darkly seductive. Sarah Porter’s writing glitters and her storytelling stuns in this twisted tale of siblings, love, and death.” ―Stephanie Garber, author of Caraval

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 17 Mar 2017 15:15:49 -0400)

When their brother Dashiell dies, twins Ruby and Everett must save one another from his hauntings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,585,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible