Twisted True Tales From Science: Disaster…

Twisted True Tales From Science: Disaster Discoveries

by Stephanie Bearce

"London was once covered in a fog so polluted that it killed 12,000 people. The Aleppo earthquake killed 230,000 people, and a wall of water mysteriously wiped out the whole town of Burnam-on-the-Sea. All of these were catastrophic disasters, but they led to important discoveries in science. Learn about how the earth turned to liquid in New Zealand, and what happens when a tsunami meets a nuclear reactor. These stories may sound twisted and strange, but they are all true tales from science!"--… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Won this from Early Reviewers.
This was an entertaining read. Designed for grade school age children it tells about acts of nature and man made disasters, tsunamis, hurricanes, tornados, floods, volcanos and the like. explaining the possible causes of these as well as telling the history of them. Also tells of people who work in fields related to these disasters and how they put their lives on the line to help us understand disasters.
this book is divided into short chapters, with very nice illustrations. It also includes experiments and crafts that you can do at home or at school to learn more about weather conditions and the like. Has a nice bibliography g. ( )
  hredwards | May 24, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Twisted True Tales from Science: Disaster Discoveries by Stephanie Bearce is a great resource for kids interested in science. There are several short stories about discoveries made because of disasters (both natural and manmade). They are written in a captivating and easy to understand way. Also included are many DIY invention/experience guides. These are appropriate for older elementary aged students, and can be done mainly with things found around the house.

This is an exciting new series that I am excited to continue to read and share with my friends' kids. ( )
  semperfi121 | Aug 9, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an outstanding high interest book for upper elementary students. It includes well known disasters such as the killer Thailand tsunami and the tri-state tornado, and there are lesser known ones such as the solar storm of the Tunguska Event or the beer or molasses floods. Some disasters are historical such as Pompeii but many of the disasters are recent. There are also related videos and experiments allowing for more in depth study.
This book will be included in my classroom library but I suspect it will see little shelf time! ( )
  Mrs.DuBois | Jul 27, 2017 |
Learn about disastrous and deadly events from the past and the scientific explanations for why they happened. Though some events are beyond our control, like tornadoes, volcanic eruptions, and tsunamis others are caused by humans. Either way, the destruction they leave behind is devastating. Scientists have learned from both natural and manmade events how to better keep humans safe if another similar disaster were to ever to take place. This book is a good mix of historical events and science; great for any history lover or future scientist! ( )
  kimpiddington | Jul 11, 2017 |
What I love most about Bearce's books is that I am learning things not traditionally taught in school. I found myself stopping every few pages to share information I was reading with my husband. I do not typically enjoy nonfiction, but I have loved all the books in this series! ( )
  AmberKirbey | Jul 11, 2017 |

Stephanie Bearceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bolli, ElizaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Compton, LucyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Denbo, AllegraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trevino, RaquelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The morning of August 24, 79 A.D. was sunny and warm.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Stephanie Bearce's book Twisted True Tales From Science: Disaster Discoveries was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,910,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible