Soonish: Ten Emerging Technologies That'll…

Soonish: Ten Emerging Technologies That'll Improve and/or Ruin Everything (edition 2019)

by Kelly Weinersmith (Author)

"From a top scientist and the creator of the hugely popular web comic Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, a hilariously illustrated investigation into future technologies--from how to fling a ship into deep space on the cheap to 3D organ printing. What will the world of tomorrow be like? How does progress happen? And why do we not have a lunar colony already? What is the holdup? In this smart and funny book, celebrated cartoonist Zach Weinersmith and noted researcher Dr. Kelly Weinersmith give us a snapshot of what's coming next--from robot swarms to nuclear-fusion-powered toasters. By weaving their own research, interviews with the scientists who are making these advances happen, and Zach's trademark comics, the Weinersmiths investigate why these technologies are needed, how they would work, and what is standing in their way. New technologies are almost never the work of isolated geniuses with a neat idea. A given future technology may need any number of intermediate technologies to develop first, and many of these critical advances may appear to be irrelevant when they are first discovered. The journey to progress is full of strange detours and blind alleys that tell us so much about the human mind and the march of civilization. To this end, SOONISH investigates ten different emerging fields, from programmable matter to augmented reality, from space elevators to robotic construction, to show us the amazing world we will have, you know, soonish."--Jacket.… (more)
Member:JasonHo
Title:Soonish: Ten Emerging Technologies That'll Improve and/or Ruin Everything
Authors:Kelly Weinersmith (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2019), Edition: Illustrated, 368 pages

Soonish: Ten Emerging Technologies That'll Improve and/or Ruin Everything by Kelly Weinersmith

English (16)  Danish (1)  All languages (17)
Bioprinting, neuroprosthetics, asteroid mining - these are just some of the more interesting parts of the future Kelly and Zach highlight in this delightful book. Chockfull of their trademark humor and insight, it was a pleasure to read.

The best part is how they do all three things - dreams of what might happen, the present situation, and where we’re headed. Each part is given equal weight. They also highlight that it’s not futurism but rather a look at the sciences.

The witty, swift writing style makes for a quick, enjoyable read. Pick it up if you’re interested in learning what may happen within our lifetimes. ( )
  bdgamer | Sep 10, 2021 |
This is a fun book to read due to the humor of the authors. The content is also interesting and is explained with understandable analogies. I enjoyed reading this book and learning some concepts that I was not familiar with. There were a few topics that I am quite familiar with due to my education and occupation. The book is more of a discussion of a series of emerging technologies that a prediction of the future. I strongly recommend this book for any nerds like myself. ( )
  GlennBell | Jun 25, 2021 |
A bit like what Randall Munroe did with his what if and thing explainer only without the math or humour (similarly to how SMBC is a bit like XKCD except without math or nowadays without humour either). What I'm trying to say is Zach hasn't been funny since ~2012 when he went all weird so maybe branching out is a good idea. I stopped reading SMBC but I thought I'd give this a chance. Might try again with the next book. ( )
  Paul_S | Dec 23, 2020 |
Covers the down and skinny of space travel and mining, fusion power, nanotech, robots, AR, synthetic life, precision medicine, bioprinting and brain/computer interface. ( )
  jefware | Feb 12, 2020 |
A reasonably fun, in places, slightly dragging look at possible ways the world is going to change with developing technologies. Interesting and in the main, accessible. The humour was quite good but not brilliant and some of this material, I just thought that I could get this off of Wikipedia or from other sources before proceeding to us. ( )
  aadyer | Sep 20, 2018 |

Kelly Weinersmithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Weinersmith, Zachmain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,188,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible