The Missing Pieces of Us

The Missing Pieces of Us

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byDunsh01

I was lucky enough to receive an advanced copy of The Missing Pieces of Us in a GoodReads give-away and because of my personal experiences with adoption in Australia I was keen to read it.

At it's core it is a story about love, family and learning to either accept or let go of the past in order to embrace the future.

The book itself was a quick read, written in a comfortable and easy manner, though the content touched on heavier subjects, such as bullying, the darker side of social media, feelings of rejection and one's own mortality. Don't let the "easy read" fool you into thinking this is a "light read". If you are prone to be emotional... grab the Kleenex first.

The three man characters are all likable and you do get drawn into each of their stories.

Here, however is my sticking point - and why it's a 4 star review rather than 5.

I felt the story arcs for all three women were concluded in a way that was too neat and tidy. To me the endings felt slightly contrived and maybe a touch too feel good and unrealistic for the subject matter. I think over the past few years we've been conditioned not to expect happy endings... and when they occur, its almost disappointing. And maybe this a downfall of our society rather than a fault on the part of the author.

The Missing Pieces of Us will probably appeal to fans of Liane Moriarty although you will find it a quicker read and perhaps missing the unexpected twists that Moriarty is known for throwing in at the end.

Overall though, I did love the book and will definitely recommend to others. ( )
  Dunsh01 | Mar 6, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,171,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible