Big City Heat by David Burnsworth

Big City Heat

by David Burnsworth

322,001,085 (4)1

In the third book of the Brack Pelton / Heat Mystery Series, Big City Heat, author David Burnsworth transports the reader back to the lowcountry setting of Charleston, SC for another intriguing Brack Pelton Southern noir / mystery adventure.

Brack Pelton is an Afghanistan war veteran and owner of the Pirate's Cove bar on the Isle of Palm. When he gets a call that his friend Mutt is in danger and needs his help finding his girlfriend Cassie's missing little sister Regan, Brack leaves his sultry lowcountry home of Charleston, SC for Atlanta. Brack and Mutt team up to find the missing woman while playing a dangerous game of cat and mouse with the seedy players in the Atlanta underworld. And if you think that is enough action for Brack, add in the reunion with his old-flame, investigative news correspondent Darcy Wells, and the heat level jacks up in ol' Hotlanta!

Author David Burnsworth weaves a fast-paced and suspenseful tale that follows Brack's investigative journey as it takes him all over Atlanta.The reader is easily drawn into this well written story with its richly descriptive plot and setting, it is filled with enough action and unsuspecting twists and turns that takes the reader on one hell of a thrilling roller coaster ride.

As a fan of Southern fiction, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thrilling mystery. I was intrigued by Brack and Mutt's adventure. I loved Brack's gritty nature and sarcastic attitude, and I found myself cheering for him and Mutt as they embarked on another dangerous adventure.

With an intriguing cast of characters; witty dialogue and dramatic interactions; and a richly descriptive Southern setting, Big City Heat is a classic Southern noir mystery novel that is a must read!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author / publisher in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Partners In Crime Virtual Book Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2017/05/big-city-heat-by-david-burnswo... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | May 25, 2017 |
This was an action-packed and violence-packed mystery. Brack Pelton comes to Atlanta to help a friend and gets in the way of the local crime boss. Brack is an interesting and complex character summed up by his lawyer as "impulsive heroic, masochistic, loyal, arrogant, lost, direct, immature, dangerous, and self-destructive." He reminded me of John D. McDonald's Travis McGee who had a number of similar characteristics.

I liked the loyalty he shows to his friend Mutt and I like the relationship he has with Darcy. The plot kept moving as Brack and his friends bounce from one confrontation with the bad guys to the next even more violent confrontation.

I thought the story was a little weak on character development for anyone but Brack but perhaps that happened in books one and two of the series which I haven't yet read. ( )
  kmartin802 | Apr 26, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,172,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible