Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane…

Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension) (edition 2017)

by Andrew Rowe (Author)

Series: Arcane Ascension (1)

Five years ago, Corin Cadence's brother entered the Serpent Spire -- a colossal tower with ever-shifting rooms, traps, and monsters. Those who survive the spire's trials return home with an attunement: a mark granting the bearer magical powers. According to legend, those few who reach the top of the tower will be granted a boon by the spire's goddess.He never returned.Now, it's Corin's turn. He's headed to the top floor, on a mission to meet the goddess.If he can survive the trials, Corin will earn an attunement, but that won't be sufficient to survive the dangers on the upper levels. For that, he's going to need training, allies, and a lot of ingenuity.The journey won't be easy, but Corin won't stop until he gets his brother back.… (more)
Member:Bugboytroy
Title:Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension)
Authors:Andrew Rowe (Author)
Info:Independently published (2017), 623 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

Sufficiently Advanced Magic by Andrew Rowe

Thee magical system is overly complicated, imo. But, I like that characters. Continuing the series. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Nov 9, 2022 |
This story is super fun! It's got dungeon diving, magic school, world building, and plenty of betrayal. I can't wait for the sequels. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
Without reading more than the summary and without having read much if at all from the LitRPG genre before, the first 10% or so of [b:Sufficiently Advanced Magic|34403860|Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)|Andrew Rowe|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1488182235l/34403860._SY75_.jpg|55506810] felt rather strange. We open with the protagonist, Corin Cadence, going into the Serpent Spire, "a colossal tower with ever-shifting rooms, traps, and monsters". The description of the tower and the rooms and especially the magic of the world feels rather like someone took a role-playing game rulebook and wrote a book about it. And... it turns out that's exactly what LitRPG novels are supposed to feel like.

That part of the book continues to feel weird to me throughout--it's the hardest of hard magic systems, with overly specified classes of mana and magic, with well defined levels and powers for each of them. I actually like that sort of thing, but there are long sections of exposition that get a bit hard to stay focused on.

On the other hand, the characters are lovely, especially Corin. He's got a wonderful sense of humor...

In the middle of the path, however, was a monster. The world’s most adorable monster. It looked like a big house cat, with gray and white stripes, sitting with its front paws raised. It had three long, bunny-like ears and a trailing rat-like tail. It tilted its head to the side as it saw me, giving me a quizzical expression. It was too cute to die. I stepped away from the door, chuckling to myself. It’s possible I am the world’s worst adventurer.

...he's probably autistic and/or extremely introveted or at the very least has a lot of the social markers...

I closed my eyes for a moment, flexing my hands in the air and taking a deep breath. “Okay. Breathing now. I think I’m interested? I’ve never really done anything like this before. And, uh, just so you know, I’m not that into...touching?”

He nodded. “I’ve noticed. It won’t be a problem. We can dance if you decide you want to. If not, I would be more than happy just to have you there to talk with me.”

I laughed, just a hair too loud to be natural. Dancing. Is that all?

I think I can handle dancing.

Maybe.

Maybe just talking.

Talking is fine.

“Okay, let’s go with that, then. It’s a date.”

...and he's subtly gay (both characters above are male). Subtly in that it comes up, but it's not a main focus of the story or his charater, and it's treated as not at all unusual, which is always pleasant to see.

Other than that, we have a bunch of teachers who fit the 'professors tend to eccentric' tropes:

Vellum lifted her gaze to the ceiling. “Obviously, these are terrible, and you should never use them. They are, predictably, also the most common.” She looked back at us, expression sharp. “People are terrible, and also stupid.”

And a number of friends / an adventuring party with all sorts:

If Marissa was fighting based on dexterity, he had to choose something she couldn’t evade. Marissa punched the lightning.

...

Only Jin was missing, presumably off doing mysterious Jin things.

...

“I’m resisting the urge to smack you right now.”

“Your willpower is, as always, admirable.”

Sera sighed, rolling her eyes. “Ugh. At least you didn’t break your snark.”

“Oh, don’t worry about that. My snark is indestructible."

Plotwise, it's basically half role playing campaign and half magic school, but it works well enough. And there's just enough hints of a wider world and deeper conspiracies to keep you going to the end... with a whole heck of a lot of potential for more in sequels.

So... at first I couldn't figure it out. At the end, I'm still not sure how much I actually like LitRPGs. But it's a fun book, there's a surprising amount of depth to the characters and the magic system, and the writing is wonderfully descriptive and fun. If you give it a chance, make sure you make it at least out of the tower plus a chapter or two, since the first chapter isn't the whole of the book.
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
A fun light LitRPG set mostly in a magic school and a magical dungeon with dungeon-crawl aspects. You can see the videogame and Harry Potter influences throughout, though there's also a lot of web novel influence (especially HPMOR and Worm). In many ways it follows rote Fantasy lines, but it also has a very modern flavor, with deliberate and occasionally jarring touches on topics like racism, romantic asexuality, and child abuse woven into the story. Personally I would've preferred if the story was more focused and consistent in tone, but it mostly worked. ( )
  wishanem | May 27, 2021 |
The too-intricate magic-system mechanics drag the middle down a bit, but the larger world and story is fascinating. Also the book has a promising ending. Overall, it requires patience but is quite enjoyable. ( )
  Andorion | Feb 6, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,400,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible