Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King

Sleeping Beauties

by Stephen King, Owen King

In this spectacular father/son collaboration, Stephen King and Owen King tell the highest of high-stakes stories: what might happen if women disappeared from the world of men? In a future so real and near it might be now, something happens when women go to sleep: they become shrouded in a cocoon-like gauze. If they are awakened, if the gauze wrapping their bodies is disturbed or violated, the women become feral and spectacularly violent. And while they sleep they go to another place, a better place, where harmony prevails and conflict is rare. One woman, the mysterious "Eve Black," is immune to the blessing or curse of the sleeping disease. Is Eve a medical anomaly to be studied? Or is she a demon who must be slain? Abandoned, left to their increasingly primal urges, the men divide into warring factions, some wanting to kill Eve, some to save her. Others exploit the chaos to wreak their own vengeance on new enemies. All turn to violence in a suddenly all-male world. Set in a small Appalachian town whose primary employer is a women's prison, Sleeping Beauties is a wildly provocative, gloriously dramatic father-son collaboration that feels particularly urgent and relevant today.… (more)

English (57)  French (2)  All languages (59)
In the near future mother nature presents an epidemic that effects only women when they go to sleep. They develop a cocoon that shrouds them. If the cocoon is disturbed, the women wake up zombie-like and go postal on the poor man who disturbed them. This epidemic becomes known as the Aurora virus.

There are a host of characters...almost too many to count. But a few of the main characters -

-a woman named Eve/Evie who has something to do with the epidemic, is immune to the sleeping sickness and is a sort of supernatural being who steers events
-Clint - a psychiatrist at a women's prison where a lot of the action takes place. If Eve is the woman in control, then Clint is the man working to set things right
-Lila, the town Sheriff who tries to stay awake with coffee and illicit drugs
-Frank, the town dogcatcher who is mighty angry!

As with any King novel, there are many characters with backstories and conflicts to get through before we get to the meat of the novel. What happens to the world with no women to temper the angry and often violent impulses of men?

In the small town of Dooling (most of his novels are set in a small town), chaos and violence ensues before we get to the final showdown.

While there are plenty of supernatural and spiritual elements - a magical tree, a woman named Eve who communes with animals and an alternate world with only women, this book is also a modern commentary of fake news, rampant tales of sexual violence and assault and police shootings. In a way, the book puts men on trial. And they are found guilty.

There is no clean and happy ending. But too much has gone down for that. But the book does in with hope. And sometimes, that's all we have to go on. ( )
  tdpmoore | Aug 8, 2019 |
Good, little long, but I liked it. ( )
  gma2lana | Jun 19, 2019 |
Way too many characters and it was hard to keep track of. I think it dragged on too long. I didn’t have any parts of this that flew by during reading. Not his best. ( )
  jill1121 | Jun 1, 2019 |
When I was a little boy my mother used to say to me “Engage brain before opening mouth”. She still says it to me today. One of the reasons I like Stephen King so much is that he suffers from the same problem I do.

This book appears to be the product of a lengthy thought process that probably took place before pen was set to paper. I blame Owen King for this deviation from the norm.

The novel deals with a broad spectrum of feminist themes from liberal to radical. It’s a feminist novel. A very good one. It references a great range of things from Genesis to the Me Too movement. A lot of these references are as clear as they could be, but often some subtlety leaves your mind grasping for some half-remembered fairy tale. Clever writing. And it doesn’t neglect the male characters. I particularly liked how the only difference between the male protagonist and antagonist was that one had learnt to control his temper. ( )
  Lukerik | May 30, 2019 |
I have to say, I was a little disappointed upon finishing this book. I'd had it on hold via e-library for over 6 months, so let's just leave it at the anticipation had been sufficiently built. I don't know if King is going soft as he ages, or if is son isn't quite as cutthroat, or maybe I just expected too much.

For me, there were to many P.O.V. shifts to really understand the characters, in addition to there being too many characters. It just fell kind of flat - a bunch of idiot men running around resorting to violence without the women to balance them is what it essentially boils down to. I didn't need 700 pages to outline this story that takes place in the span of a week.

And our psychiatrist friend, Clint? How many times did we have to hear about him working so hard to control his anger, fists clenched and shaking, because of his troubled upbringing (and the stupid milkshakes!) Boo-frickety-hoo! You're an adult working in a prison with women whose lives currently suck ten times worse than yours - get over it!

Anyway, returning from the sidetrack, to sum up, all I can really say is, it was no IT, that's for sure. I'll just stick with King's older classics from now on. ( )
  nframke | Apr 30, 2019 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, Owenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bebber, FedericoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Esch, JeanTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, OwenAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kleinschmidt, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It makes no difference if you're rich or poor

Or if you're smart or dumb.

A woman's place in this old world

Is under some man's thumb,

And if you're born a woman

You're born to be hurt.

You're born to be stepped on,

Lied to,

Cheated on,

And treated like dirt.

--Sandy Posey, "Born a Woman"

Lyrics by Martha Sharp
I say you can't not be bothered by a square of light!

--Reese Marie Dempster, Inmate #4602597-2

Dooling Correctional Facility for Women
She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

--Sen. Addison "Mitch" McConnell, speaking of Sen. Elizabeth Warren
In remembrance of Sandra Bland
The moth makes Evie laugh.
Mais, en vérité, y avait-il un moment où les hommes n'avaient pas été déconcertés par les femmes ? Elles étaient la magie dont ils rêvaient, et parfois leurs rêves étaient des cauchemars.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,734,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible