Awkward: The Science of Why We're…

Awkward: The Science of Why We're Socially Awkward and Why…

by Ty Tashiro

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this book through Early Reviewers and I was looking forward to getting it. Except I didn't. But it looks like no one else got it either. So when it showed up at the library after it was published I thought I would read it because the subject matter seemed interesting to me.

Many of us feel awkward to some degree in life situations or for some maybe chronically. Mr. Tashiro walks us through many of these challenges from his perspective when he was an awkward youth and gradually but probably not completely shed the condition. Many of the topics covered come across as obvious things that are not that hard to explain or diagnose. Aside from all the discussion however he does not offer much in the way of help other than understanding.

Finally at the conclusion he delves into a bit of why the awkward person has advantages that can be applied primarily in vocational or work scenarios. Socially however one is still on his own and will not find much here to serve much purpose. ( )
1 vote knightlight777 | Oct 6, 2017 |
Loved it, very eye opening ( )
  rolyat | Jul 22, 2017 |

In the vein of Quiet and The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth comes this illuminating look at what it means to be awkward—and how the same traits that make us socially anxious and cause embarrassing faux pas also provide the seeds for extraordinary success.

As humans, we all need to belong. While modern social life can make even the best of us feel gawky, for roughly one in five of us, navigating its challenges is consistently overwhelming—an ongoing maze without an exit. Often unable to grasp social cues or master the skills and grace necessary for smooth interaction, we feel out of sync with those around us. Though individuals may recognize their awkward disposition, they rarely understand why they are like this—which makes it hard for them to know how to adjust their behavior.

Psychologist and interpersonal relationship expert Ty Tashiro knows what it’s like to be awkward. Growing up, he could do math in his head and memorize the earned run averages of every National League starting pitcher. But he couldn’t pour liquids without spilling and habitually forgot to bring his glove to Little League games. In Awkward, he unpacks decades of research into human intelligence, neuroscience, personality, and sociology to help us better understand this widely shared trait. He explores its nature vs. nurture origins, considers how the awkward view the world, and delivers a welcome counterintuitive message: the same characteristics that make people socially clumsy can be harnessed to produce remarkable achievements.

Interweaving the latest research with personal tales and real world examples, Awkward offers reassurance and provides valuable insights into how we can embrace our personal quirks and unique talents to harness our awesome potential—and more comfortably navigate our complex world.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 07 Mar 2017 12:45:12 -0500)

Interweaving the latest research with personal tales and real world examples, this offers reassurance and provides valuable insights into how listeners can embrace their personal quirks and unique talents to harness their awesome potential, and more comfortably navigate their complex world.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Ty Tashiro's book Awkward: The Science of Why We're Socially Awkward and Why That's Awesome is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,746,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible