The Three Billy Goats Gruff by Jerry Pinkney

The Three Billy Goats Gruff

by Jerry Pinkney

This book is about three billy goats trying to cross the bridge where a troll sits and waits to eat billygoats. They find ways to outsmart and the oldest brother eventually defeats the troll. The brothers are able to eat the grass in peace. This book would be great for 2nd-3rd graders. It has easy vocabulary and is a funny story about how the billy goats were very smart and brave. ( )
  JennySkvarna | Dec 3, 2018 |
This is a story I have read many times over, throughout the years. I chose this version because of the beautiful illustrations. There wasn't much variation on the original tale. The little billy goat crosses the bridge first to greener pastures, and the mean troll threatens to eat him. The little billy goat suggests that he wait for the next one, that is significantly bigger and would make a better meal. The troll decides to wait, as he is greedy! The medium billy goat crosses and says the same thing, and the troll waits. When the big billy goat crosses he announces himself to the troll. I noticed a deviation here, from the original. In this story the large billy goat kicks the troll into the water where a giant fish is about to eat him. I like how they were able to outsmart the troll. It is of course better to be smart, than mean. I am happy the person who made up this story so many years ago, decided that the three billy goats would get to go graze on the other side where there was more than enough for all of them to eat. ( )
  denisebarry | Nov 19, 2018 |
I think this is my favorite Pinkney story so far. I love that he changed up the classic to make it his own. He gave the mean old troll a chance to learn his lesson by inventing the fish at the end. I had so much fun reading this book to my two year old. He loved all the different voices you can use for the different characters while reading. I hope the students at Ben Franklin have as much fun when I read this with them. ( )
  csheldon | Nov 6, 2018 |
Interesting book! I like that its goats and I am a goat mama and that it shows the true side of a goat when the big bill goat comes through the gate. I have a nanny goat and she is rough and tumble and always in the way. We call her the queen of the yard because she puts herself in the center of everything just like this big billy goat. It's an enjoyable tale of the traditional trolls and crossing the bridge. Students I think would enjoy a writing assignment to go along with this book too. The prompt would be "what are some other things that characters in books cross a troll bridge for..?" or "name something that a troll might take as payment to cross the bridge."
  Ashley.Miller | Oct 23, 2018 |
The illustrations in the book express the words of the characters of what they are saying. The illustrations also show the size of the characters and how scary the troll is supposed to look. The book has a lot of dialogue between the characters, so this will help keep the children interested in the story, especially if the teacher uses voices. ( )
  cnemetz | Oct 17, 2018 |

A classic read-aloud favorite addressing the perennially hot topic of bullying, retold by multi-acclaimed artist Jerry Pinkney.

Jerry Pinkney puts his indelible stamp on another beloved folktale in the same vein as the Caldecott Medal-winning The Lion & the Mouse and the highly acclaimed The Tortoise & the Hare and The Grasshopper & the Ants.

When the three billy goats Gruff are hungry, they see bountiful grass to eat across an old bridge. But the bridge is home to a terrible troll, who is peckish himself, and looking for a tasty morsel to gobble up. In his interpretation of the timeless tale, Jerry Pinkney shows there's little good to come from greed--but in the end, redemption for even the most trollish bully is possible. A dramatic gatefold heightens the climax of this brilliant rendition.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 25 Mar 2017 19:02:24 -0400)

Three billy goats must outwit the big, ugly troll that lives under the bridge they have to cross on their way up the mountain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,898,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible