Among the Dead by J. R. Backlund

Among the Dead

by J. R. Backlund

I thoroughly enjoyed this past-paced mystery set in fictional Lowry County in North Carolina's Blue Ridge mountains. Apparently this will be the first of a series featuring former SBI officer Rachel Carver. ( )
  Gingermama | Mar 5, 2018 |
Before I review this book I just want to say two things, yes the cover is gorgeous and it was one of the reasons I wanted to read this book and secondly, here we have once again a blurb that gives away too much of the story. I will get to it later on, but first I want to write about the positive things about the book.

Among the Dead by J.R. Backlund is a good start on a new series. I quite liked Rachel Carver, she has been through a traumatic event prior to this book and still waiting to learn if there will be legal repercussions for it. The case in this book is also interesting, especially since there doesn't seem to be a motive for the killings. I have a fondness for crime books set in small towns where everyone knows everyone and people have secrets so this one right from the start felt right up my alley. Now, back to the blurb problem, it gives away too much. I hate it, when I know certain events will happen and I sit and wait for them. And, I did it with this book and that took away some enjoyment of reading the book. Sorry, but I want to know as little as possible and I love it when the book takes surprising turns. This book didn't surprise me especially much and hence I felt it was just an OK book.

Despite my blurb problem with Among the Dead do I think the book was perfectly OK to read. I would probably have enjoyed it more if I wasn't prepared already to certain things, like the death of a police officer. However, despite that was the book OK, the ending, the disclosure was perhaps not the most spectacular nor surprising, but I do want to read the next book in the series!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
While this book started out slow for me -- it picked up and picked up until I was racing with it to reach the finish. Rachel Carter is a former State Bureau of Investigations investigator for North Carolina. After a case went bad she resigned. When a former colleague calls to ask for help, Rachel reluctantly agrees. What follows is a complicated case that just keeps adding twists and turns to the story.

Highly recommended, this one is a keeper. ( )
  bookswoman | Sep 10, 2017 |
Rachel Carver has quit the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation after she shot and killed a woman in the course of an investigation. Her superiors quickly closed the case by stating that the woman was guilty of killing her boyfriend. Rachel had her doubts and quit. She's been watching the woman's small child and stoking her own guilt.

When Rachel gets a call from an old friend to help in an investigation in rural North Carolina, she agrees. There her job is to make sure that the police force crosses its t's and dots its i's so that the case isn't thrown out of court. The Chief of Police is under pressure from the town council who wants to fire him.

The case quickly gets complicated when one victim becomes two and then three and the SBI gets involved. Their focus turns to meth labs which Rachel doesn't think actually has anything to do with the murders. Soon Rachel is working around the SBI and even the department that hired her to find out the truth about the murders

Rachel is an interesting character. She is an excellent investigator who tends to get too involved in her cases to the detriment of all the other parts of her life. I liked her and her obsession with energy drinks.

I thought the mystery was nicely twisty. I recommend this book to people looking for a woman sleuth and an interesting mystery. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 14, 2017 |

Former North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation agent Rachel Carver blames herself for the collateral death of an innocent woman in her last case. Unable to accept her superior's attempts to cover up the incident, she turned in her badge. But when a former partner asks her to consult on a new murder case, she reluctantly agrees, traveling to a small, remote mountain community, where she's tasked with leading a group of inexperienced detectives on a hunt for the killer. The trek has hardly begun when what seems to be the act of a loner proves to be much more as Rachel's team comes under attack, and a detective is killed in the fallout. Now that the stakes have risen, Rachel's old employers at the SBI step in to take over the investigation. But Rachel, convinced they are on the wrong track, continues to work the case alone. And just as she delves into the town's past, she discovers a secret history that connects the victims, one that makes her the target of a man who would kill to keep it a secret.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,711,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible