Edited Out: A Mysterious Detective Mystery…

Edited Out: A Mysterious Detective Mystery

by E.J. Copperman

Edited Out by E.J. Copperman is the second book in A Mysterious Detective Mystery series. Rachel Goldman lives in Adamstown, New Jersey and writes the Duffy Madison mystery series. She is working on her latest book, but she is having difficulties. Ever since meeting a man named Duffy Madison she keeps confusing her make-believe character with the real man. It is affecting her writing in a very negative way. Rachel has been avoiding Duffy’s calls for the last few months. Rachel’s assistant, Paula points that avoiding him may not be the best tactic. Rachel believes Duffy is really Damien Mosley who disappeared five years prior. It just so happens that Duffy appeared five years ago. He has no memory of his life before that time. Rachel calls Duffy and he shows up ready to explore Damien’s life. Another investigation was not what Rachel had in mind, but maybe she can prove to Duffy that she did not create him. Is she letting Duffy lead her into another dangerous situation? Is there a chance that Duffy was created from Rachel’s imagination? You need to read Edited Out to find out the answers!

I had a difficult time reading Edited Out (I am surprised that I finished it). I thought the book to be slow paced and tedious. I had a hard time believing that a rational woman believes that a man sprang forth from her imagination. A Mysterious Detective Mystery series is not a paranormal series, so I did not understand this logic (am I overthinking it?). Edited Out is the second book in the series and, in this case, you really do need to read Written Off first. Otherwise, you will be utterly lost and confused. Edited Out is the written in the first person from Rachel’s point-of-view. Rachel’s character feels the need to explain Duffy’s thinking, lack of emotions, and actions as if the reader will not understand it from the reading the narrative (all throughout the book). Rachel seems to be surprised by Duffy’s actions, the way he talks, thinks, etc. Even though he is acting exactly how she wrote him (that would be a little freaky at first). I give Edited Out 2 out of 5 stars (I did not enjoy this one). I found many items to be repeated frequently throughout the book. I did not need to be told so many times that writer’s block was “not a thing”, that Rachel is not an investigator, why Duffy lacks emotion, and information about the Tappan Zee Bridge. At the end of the book, readers are still left wondering if Duffy is a real “human” or he sprang to life five years ago. Will this continue throughout the whole series? Will we get one new puzzle piece per book? I wish the author had made this a paranormal series. It would have been entertaining to read about a character that sprang to life based on an author’s books. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | May 19, 2017 |
Edited Out A Mysterious DetectivenMystery by E J Copperman is an unique, wacky and different take on a mystery.

Rachel Goldman is a mystery writer whose main character seems to have come to life or at least he thinks he is her Duffy Madison from her books. Duffy is trying to convince Rachel that he is her character and not a missing person Damien Mosley. Funny thing is while they are hunting for Damien, Duffy gets picked up for questioning in the murder of Damien's wife who was killed 5 years ago the same time Damien went missing and Duffy appeared. Confused? So is Rachel .

This is so different that it works. The characters are unique enough to make them interesting. I love the sarcastic things Rachel comes up with in dealing with Duffy. Duffy is matter of fact, no nonsense smart and mysterious while Rachel is smart, creative and sarcastic. The interaction between them is what makes this unusual take on this mystery work.

The idea that Duffy is somehow "the" Duffy from Rachel's imagination who meticulously investigates and hunts for missing persons is a puzzle. Then there is the problem of the body of an unknown man who died 5 years ago, the same time Damien went missing, and Damien's wife who has been murdered 5 years ago for another piece of the puzzle. Add the fact that Rachel thinks this Damien who went missing 5 years ago just when Duffy showed up is probably one and the same person and it all adds up to a multi-faceted, sometimes confusing, fun and uniquely quirky cozy mystery.

The only down side to this is that sometimes there is too much explaining going on that can be a bit boring. It moves slow at times but with so much going on there is no way around all the back story. It is a fun read and really a different fresh take on a cozy mystery.

This is the second book in this series but it can be read as a stand alone. I wish now I had read the first book before this one but it isn't a necessity.

I received this book for my honest opinion and review

If you want to learn more about this book and author check out this site:

debf56 | May 9, 2017 |
In this episode, Rachel is having trouble writing her newest Duffy Madison mystery. She is sure it is because she is confusing her characters with the real Duffy Madison who is quite a man of mystery. He had no recollection of his life before five years in the past when he became convinced that he was Duffy Madison.

He convinces Rachel that they need to investigate his past in Poughkeepsie which he hopes will answer his questions and she hopes with make it possible to write again. Only Poughkeepsie has many more questions than it has answers. Rachel is convinced that Duffy was once Damien Mosley who conveniently disappeared just when her Duffy claims to have begun his life. Duffy supposedly went to high school with Damien and other characters in this story but no one remembers him.

Duffy is determined to find Damien to prove to Rachel that they are not the same person. He succeeds, if finding that Damien died in what appeared to be an accident five years ago and was never identified, counts as success. Duffy, convinced that Damien was murdered, continues the investigation.

I enjoyed this mystery which was filled with entertaining characters who all seem to have something to hide. I like that the story is told by Rachel who keeps throwing in comments about writers. I like that one of the characters is a big fan of Rachel's work.

This was fun. The villain surprised me. The mystery of Duffy was left unresolved paving the way for more Duffy and Rachel adventures. ( )
  kmartin802 | Apr 23, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,938,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible