What the Hell Did I Just Read: A Novel of…

What the Hell Did I Just Read: A Novel of Cosmic Horror (edition 2017)

by David Wong (Author), Stephen R. Thorne (Narrator), Audible Studios (Publisher)

138886,938 (4)8
Member:Virago77
Title:What the Hell Did I Just Read: A Novel of Cosmic Horror
Authors:David Wong (Author)
Other authors:Stephen R. Thorne (Narrator), Audible Studios (Publisher)
Info:Audible Studios (2017)
Collections:Read in 2018, Read, Audiobooks, Books I Own, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:audiobook, books-i-own, horror-humor, scifi, supernatural

What the Hell Did I Just Read by David Wong

I feel like I say this every time I review a book from this series, but this was an exercise in insanity!

Let me start by saying, there's only so much I can say without spoiling. I'm about to say something that may be of an unpopular opinion; I don't know because I haven't talked to anyone who has read the series, but here it is: I don't like Amy. I don't know what it is about the character, but she just irks the hell out of me, and I cannot remember if I felt this way after reading the first two novels. Even though I get the reason for her character, at the same time, I don't see the point of her.

That being said, John and Dave had yet another not-so-excellent adventure in [Undisclosed]. Just when I think the author couldn't possibly come up with a more, profane, creepy, hilariously convoluted story than the last, he goes and does it with style. The kind of person you have to be to come up with this stuff... all the blessings to the author's wife!

Seriously, this was creepy, funny, and ridiculous. If you've read the series, you understand why it's so hard to describe. If you haven't read the series, you're missing out. Go read it. Right now!

I went back and forth between the paperback and the audiobook. Whatever audio issues people were having when it was first released must have been fixed, because I thought it was great quality and a pretty good performance. I think I may have liked the narrator of the second book a little better--taking away nothing from this narrator. Overall it was a very good story and performance. ( )
  Virago77 | Jun 13, 2018 |
Another installment in the John Dies at the End series: same batshit crazy horror, same ridiculous not-quite-noir metaphors. Actually, the metaphors were even better this time... somehow he uses the most outlandish ideas to actually get the message across really well.

My only complaint is that the soy sauce wasn't as trippy as the first book, but I had the same complaint about book two. ( )
  Andibook | Apr 20, 2018 |
I didn't know that this novel was part of a series. And it really didn't matter because I was able to follow along fine without having had read anything before this one. This was one of the most entertaining reads I have ever had the opportunity to read. It was an absolutely perfect mix of horror and comedy, that is both a mess and a genius work at the same time. I loved all of the characters and their unique narratives and perspectives. The story is honestly so wild and bizarre, which at first took me by surprise, but I began to really love that style. Random characters are introduced, random events happen, and since these events are told from multiple perspectives, you never really know if what you are reading is true or false. It makes your head spin but it also keeps you hooked! I am so glad I took my time with this book because it just allowed me to savor it so much longer! I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for something unique, something dark and funny, and something that will drive you insane while also make you crave more! I am definitely going to go back and start the series from the beginning! 5/5 stars from me!

I received this novel as an advanced copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
David, Amy, and John (from John Dies at the End) are back, with more Lovecraftian adventures in Cracked-style prose. Hounded by police, parents who think David might have kidnapped their kids, and a mysterious Men in Black style organization, the trio attempt to solve the mystery of the missing kids, which turns into an apocalypse, of course. More of the same—if you liked the first two books, as I did, you’ll probably like this. ( )
  rivkat | Nov 26, 2017 |
This is one of the scariest book I've read in the last few years... and its also funny.

Here we have ... something ... from another dimension emulating human children, and doing it so well, that it actually makes people believe they had a child when they were childless. This creature can emulate anybody, or anything. Its really terrifying.

Add in a mysterious Government agency, intent on stopping this thing, with or without John, Dave, and Amy, anyway possible (up to nuclear bombing the whole place), its a great story.

The author writes a great story - all the points come together nicely, and there is not any wasted words. He even manages to through in some information about mental illness, without being preachy or condescending. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Nov 11, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,444,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible