Beacon by Chess Desalls

by Chess Desalls

Series: Lantern (2)

422,355,249 (4)None

No tags.

*I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.

Serah Kettel interviews with Master Machin to be an apprentice, to tend to the lanterns and let him know when one burns out. Machin asks her which new lantern bulb she likes. When she touches the one she picks, it smokes inside and she feels a shock that lands her on the ground. She's to return for her position as apprentice. When she returns, she expects to learn Machin's secrets to the lanterns. She didn't expect to live it.

Janine is a new voice for me. I thought she did well with the accents of Havenbrim and where Serah ends up. Giving each land a different feel from each other. The audio book sounded seamless as Janine narrated.

Serah is from a time when Halloween is very different than it is now, or where she ends up. Halloween scares Serah with all the creatures, blood, and body parts we have at parties. Seeing this new world and the way things are done opens Serah's eyes to what's important in life, and what she really wants with her family.

Of course we get a pleasant ending for Serah, after all. But the journey to the end is different through the globes. It's different for each person. I didn't expect the story to take the turn it did here, and I like it. The globe, the locket that's a door, and the delight to see who's where in the end. I know it sounds like I'm rambling, but it'll all make sense when you read or listen to the story.

Machin is always an interesting catalyst for stories. He creates the lanterns which lead these characters down their paths to where they need to be in their lives. I'm not sure if he finds them or if they find him, but he knows they will eventually find their happy ending.

It's a pleasant story that Young Adults can read/listen to and enjoy what the characters learn along the way about themselves. ( )
  MelHay | Jan 13, 2018 |
I won this as an audio-book in a LibraryThing Member giveaway. Wow... pretty darn good! The narrator, Janine Haynes, was awesome and the writer, Chess Desalls, even better. The characters were well developed for a novella. The time/ different-world travel was a great twist. I was actually starting to get attached to the characters when the story ended... I must have more! ( )
  tenamouse67 | Aug 6, 2017 |
"Beacon (Lantern #2) by Chess Desalls is a wondrous novella whose magical realism will captivate and delight readers of all ages. A wonderful, wonderful read!"

B071GD9V7Z
When Serah’s life in Havenbrim becomes unbearable, she accepts an apprenticeship with a celestial mechanic and glazier. Her master assigns her the task of opening a globe framed in copper. But the glass and seal are unbreakable. The solution to the puzzle traps Serah inside the globe, and transports her to a world where she longs for home.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Chess Desalls's book Beacon (Lantern, #2) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Chess Desalls is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,823,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible