To Beat the Devil (The Technomancer Novels)…

To Beat the Devil (The Technomancer Novels) (Volume 1)

by M. K. Gibson

212,551,640 (4)None
Recently added byaudiobibliophile

My original To Beat the Devil audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

To Beat The Devil: The Technomancer Novels Book 1 by M. K. Gibson centers around Salem (a rogue human/cyborg) and Father Grimm (a mysterious mage with a heart-stopping hard side) who find themselves fighting against the bad guys (demons) since God announced his “forsaking” the people of earth. Now almost 200 years later, the battle for human souls has taken an unexpected turn and it is up to Salem and Grimm to win it!

There were a lot of pop culture references throughout the audiobook; I immediately connected Salem to the Chris Pratt character in Guardian of the Universe and Father Grimm to a mix between Obi-Wan and Yoda. The references added a comedic value to the book which made it even more interesting and fun. I loved the parents and their interaction with Salem.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book as it was fast paced, not too techno or complicated to follow and the characters were well described and built. The use of deities from ancient mythology was impressively entertaining. I enjoyed Salem’s “fly by the seat of your pants” attitude. It was a perfect audiobook - creative, entertaining and fun.

Gibson built the plot and characters with care and strength. It is an epic book but one that cannot be put down, it holds not only your attention but thoughts as well. The listener may find themselves asking what if … OMG, I never thought of that … Gibson takes one action – one we never think or want to believe could happen and shows us what could happen if humankind is left unchecked.

The narrator, Shawn Purvis provided a striking performance. He performed the audiobook expertly, keeping the story going at a rhythmic pace and speaking clearly and concisely. He owned the book! He jumped between characters without missing a beat keeping all the voices correct.

There were no issues with the quality or production of this audiobook.

Audiobook was provided for review by the author ( )
  audiobibliophile | Mar 8, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 153073455X, Paperback)

175 years have passed since God quit on mankind. Without his blessing, Hell itself, along with the ancient power of The Deep, were unleashed upon the world. Two world wars and oceans of blood later, a balance was reached. Demonkind took its place as the ruling aristocracy. Mankind, thanks to its ability to create, fell to the position of working proletariat. Alive, but not living. Lucky Us. Welcome to New Golgotha, the East Coast supercity. In it you will find sins and cyborgs, magic and mystery, vices without virtue and hell without the hope of heaven. In the middle of it all is Salem, smuggler extraordinaire and immortal recluse, who has lived and fought through the last two centuries, but his biggest battle is just beginning. To Beat The Devil: A Technomancer Novel is an incredible adventure full of cyborgs and demons, gods, magic, guns, puns and whiskey, humor and heart. Follow Salem as he embarks to discover the meaning of the very nature of what mankind is: our souls. And, who is trying to steal them.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 08 Mar 2017 08:11:39 -0500)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,742,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible