The Black Lily (Tales of the Black Lily) by…

The Black Lily (Tales of the Black Lily)

by Juliette Cross

The Black Lily By Juliette Cross is my first book by this author.
It's a kind of Vampire Twist on the whole cinderella story and seeing as I love fairy tales and am a sucker (sucker get it he he ) for vampires this seemed a win-win.
We have a fairy tale world ruled by vampires, nobles and then the poor peasants
Our Prince Mariel is a vampire and he's having a ball for all the nobility to attend to find his latest bleeder.
Enter Arabelle AKA The Black Lily she's at the ball until midnight to entice the prince so she can drive a gold edged dagger through his vampire heart.
Arabelle is part of the underground movement to stop vampire tyranny.
fleeing the scene of the crime just after midnight. Arabelle thinks she's succeeded in her mission.
Prince Marius wants to find the enchantress bearing a tattoo of a lily and proceeds to start a hunt across the kingdom for the mysterious woman.
Now It took me a while to get into this book, this might have been because I was in a bit of a reading slump, or just plain I wasn't sure about it.
anyway, something must have clicked for me as this changed for me around chapter seven and them a steamrolled through the rest.

so in conclusion, fantastic original plotline, I don't think I've ever seen cinderella imagined with vampires, a great narrative and excellent world building.
this was a fun read with great fleshed out characters my only issue was my inability to originally connect with the story this pulled it down slightly for me and my rating reflected this.
saying that this is still a great read.

I received a free e-copy of The Black Lily from NetGalley and this is my own honest opinion.

carpathian1974 | Jun 6, 2017 |
Juliette Cross’ THE BLACK LILY is a clever retelling of the classic Cinderella. Arabelle (The Black Lily) leads a rebellion against the vampire monarchy. She sets out to assassinate the vampire prince, Marius, at the ball held at the Glass Tower. Her attempt fails, and Marius is determined to find the mysterious woman that was unsuccessful in killing him. This fairytale PNR is suitable for adult audiences.

THE BLACK LILY was a creative and entertaining read. I enjoyed the plot. I like how the Cinderella and Red Riding Hood fairytales were worked into the story. I also appreciate that there was a lot more to the story then just the basics from the fairy tale.

Arabelle is a strong heroine. She is brave and determined to fight for the lower class. I like Marius. Unlike his family, he is noble and wants what is best for the people. He is ignorant about what is really happening, but willing to investigate to discover the truth. The two have great chemistry, and I enjoyed their dialog.

Juliette Cross does a fantastic job with all the details to the story. The characters are well developed. The plot is skillfully executed. There were interesting twists and turn of events. Even though the novel is 300-pages, it felt like a fast read. THE BLACK LILY had a great ending. I would love to see this story turned into a movie. I look forward to the second book in the Tales of the Black Lily, THE RED LILY, expected to be published on June 19, 2017. I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book. ( )
  dlynch | Mar 30, 2017 |
I have loved everything written by Juliette Cross in the past and THE BLACK LILY was no different.

THE BLACK LILY brings us an eventful and unforgettable twist on the story of Cinderella. Arabelle might be a peasant that serves those above her, but she has a dangerous secret. Not only is Marius a prince, but he's a vampire. They lead very different lives, but their connection is too strong for them to go their separate ways.

I liked Arabelle right away, her strength and courage shined right through the pages. She doesn't shy away from the dirty work and she doesn't need someone to save her. She was pretty bad ass and I loved watching her work through numerous sticky situations. Marius was also easy to like. He was a little arrogant, but that was to be expected from the way he was raised. Even having said that, he was willing to listen and research the claims that were brought against his people—and even fight against them to right wrongs.

There was major chemistry between Arabelle and Marius from their first meeting and it only got stronger as the story went on. They worked very well together—when they finally started working together— and they were well balanced as a couple.

THE BLACK LILY has a lot of things going for it. It had great characters, a smooth and constantly moving storyline and the world was fun to dive into. I would love to continue reading about Arabelle and Marius, but Cross often changes main characters with each book so we will have to see what she brings us with THE RED LILY. If you're a fan of fairytale retellings with a paranormal twist, pick up THE BLACK LILY.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Mar 22, 2017 |
Whoopsie! A brand new series by Juliette and she's already got me panting for the next book. Arabelle and Marius are just wow. Initially, during the first few chapters, I wondered how these two were going to get an HEA, being that they were from totally opposite ends of the spectrum but with the revelation of the villain there at the end, Juliette Cross created the perfect out for Marius. I am totally taken with Sienna and Mina as well and I can't wait till their books are out.

I received an Advanced Reader's Copy from the Publisher via NetGalley for voluntary review consideration. ( )
  Ash_P | Mar 8, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,946,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible