The Fourteen Day Soul Detox: The Complete…

The Fourteen Day Soul Detox: The Complete Serial

by Rita Stradling

731,138,814 (4)None

Original post can be found on my blog at this link: https://yaguitarist.wordpress.com/2017/08/07/the-fourteen-day-soul-detox-by-rita-stradling/

Firstly, I would like to thank LibraryThing and the author, Rita, for giving me the chance to read and review this arc in return for an honest review. 😀

It took me sufficiently long to finish this novel. This is also the longest novel I have ever read in my life. I remembered picking up ‘The Chronicles of Narnia’ a few years back only to put it back down after reading the 1st chapter. Reading long novels isn’t really my thing but I’m proud of myself for overcoming this hurdle. *pats on back*

This novel’s plot is pretty mundane and slow since it depicts Jamie’s everyday life. Occasionally, there will be some drama and those are the only times which keeps me at the edge of my chair. Other than those occasions, it is hard for me to continue on with this novel after 200 pages in. As mention above, I don’t really enjoy reading slow-paced novels. However, I make up my mind to pull through after pulling this novel off after 2 months since I shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. I’m really glad I didn’t DNF The Fourteen Day Soul Detox right off the bat and to give it a chance instead. After all, I did take away some life lessons after reading this novel. 🙂

I have an enjoyable time following Jamie and the struggles she has to face as a single mother, having to raise a child with special needs after her husband, Logan, passed away in an accident. This novel is also an eye-opener for me since I’ve never read an adult women’s fiction novel before. Though I’m probably too young and naive to understand the struggles Jamie has to face as a single mother, I’m still surprised by how much life lesson I’ve gained from it. Now, it makes me see certain things in a different light.

Jamie is an ‘okay’ character. I don’t particularly love or hate her. Instead, I love secondary characters such as Cameron much more. Cameron is my bias in this novel. After all, he is willing to sacrifice so much for Jamie even though she *ahem* initially doesn’t have feelings for him. That alone is very admirable. Double thumbs up from me. XD On the other hand, Jamie made some stupid decisions but I wouldn’t blame or diss her for making such decisions since ultimately, we are humans. We are bound to make mistakes at some point in our lives. Even so, there is something that makes me love Jamie and that is her willingness to change, apologise and repent for those decisions she made. ( )
  yaguitarist | Aug 7, 2017 |
I have read a few of Rita Stradling's books by now, and i have to see this is not the best one. I think what annoyed me the most was Jamie.I did not care for her at all, and i think most of the things happening to her are her own fault.She comes out very unlikeable.I liked the secondary characters better. Patrick,Cameron,Suzan,Chris. It's an easy book to read,but i came at a point i just wanted it over. ( )
  jenny_acc | May 22, 2017 |
I loved this book! The characters were very believable and there was so much going on throughout the book, I never got bored. I would highly recommend this book to anyone! ( )
  Taysmama | May 12, 2017 |

Rita Stradling is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,756,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible