Grit by Gillian French

I got caught up in this novel about a teen whose secrets compel her to risky behaviors. ( )
  ChristianR | Mar 28, 2018 |
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my opinion of the book or my review itself.

This book is a bit of an enigma to me. Not much really happens, but yet it's interesting enough to keep me reading.

In Grit, we meet Darcy, who everyone in town loves to spread rumors about and call the "town slut". But she's fine hiding behind the gossip so she doesn't have to think about the truth-what happened to her cousin Nell, her missing best friend, and herself, on the Fourth of July. Then someone nominates Darcy for Bay Festival Princess, and she can't hide anymore.

This book moves around through Darcy's everyday life, raking berries during the summer to try to earn extra cash, spending time with her family, interacting with boys and friends. But while on the surface it seems like a story that is meandering around, knowing that there is so much simmering under the surface kept me turning pages. French drops lots of small, almost hidden, hints that add up to subtle foreshadowing about what is to come, and there's this overarching sense of depressing dread that makes this book so atmospheric.

I don't see myself rushing out to read more of French's work, simply because there are so many other books in this genre that are already demanding my attention. But if you are looking for a quick, highly atmospheric almost haunting read, with a slow build and some real emotional punches, this would be a good one to pick up. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Mar 4, 2018 |
Literary Merit: Alright
Characterization: Good
Recommend: Yes
Level: Upper High School

This book contains adult content so is for upper high school age. Overall quick read. Left several questions unanswered, which is frustrating. Characters are developed. ( )
  SWONroyal | Aug 24, 2017 |
For Darren, who never gave up on the dream
I swore I wouldn’t come back here this summer, not to Mrs. Wardwell’s foghorn voice and blisters the size of nickels.

"It's summer in rural Maine; when 17-year-old Darcy Prentiss isn't raking berries with her sister during the day, she's drinking and swimming with the boys in the quarry at night. But the fun is what's been keeping Darcy's mind off the disturbing secret she shares with Nell; the disappearance of her ex-best friend; and that hazy Fourth of July party that ended with Darcy drunk, flat on her back, and wondering how she let it get this far. Everything she has been trying to keep down comes bubbling to the surface when she is nominated to be Bay Festival Princess.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,690,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible