Walking with Miss Millie by Tamara Bundy

Walking with Miss Millie

by Tamara Bundy

I loved the relationships in this story: the intergenerational one between Alice and Miss Millie; the sibling one of Alice and Eddie; the deaf and hearing one of Eddie and Pam. Miss Millie sums up the theme with her wise words: " ... you're doin' the best ya can. We're all in this great big world just bumpin' around each other trying to do the best we can." Indeed. ( )
  bookwren | Jan 29, 2018 |
Alice moves with her mother and brother from Ohio to Georgia in the mid 1960s to care for her ailing grandmother. Without realizing she picks up on a party line conversation, but then listens in. As punishment, her mother makes her go to the elderly neighbor whose privacy she invaded. Alice finds herself with a new friend, as walking with Miss Millie and her dog Clarence every day becomes a high point of her new life and teachers her a lot about segregation and attitudes in the South that have been a part of Millie's life. ( )
  lilibrarian | Mar 10, 2017 |
To Marshall, Jordan and Caleb for reminding me that all that really matters is love
The day we drove into Rainbow, Mama was pulling out all her tricks to distract us, trying to pretend we hadn't just left every one of our friends ten hours behind.
There was still a lot I wasn't happy about. There was still stuff I didn't like. But if I thought real hard, the kind where your thinking goes all the way down to your soul, I had to admit, I did feel a little better.

A poignant middle grade debut about the friendship between a white girl and an elderly black woman in the 1960s South

Alice is angry at having to move to Rainbow, Georgia—a too small, too hot, dried-up place she’s sure will never feel like home. Then she gets put in charge of walking her elderly neighbor’s dog. But Clarence won’t budge without Miss Millie, so Alice and Miss Millie walk him together.

Strolling with Clarence and Miss Millie quickly becomes the highlight of Alice's day and opens her eyes to all sorts of new things to marvel over. During their walks, they meet a mix of people, and Alice sees that although there are some bullies and phonies, there are plenty of kind folks, too. Miss Millie shares her family’s story with Alice, showing her the painful impact segregation has had on their town. And with Miss Millie, Alice is finally able to express her own heartache over why her family had to move there in the first place.

Tamara Bundy’s beautifully written debut celebrates the wonder and power of friendship: how it can be found when we least expect it and make any place a home.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 10 Mar 2017 09:38:14 -0500)

After moving with her mother and deaf brother to Grandma's small Georgia town in the 1960s, Alice copes with feelings of isolation by befriending the elderly black woman who lives next door.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,722,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible