The Proving by Beverly Lewis

The Proving

by Beverly Lewis

If you’re a well-read fan of Beverly Lewis then you walk into her novels knowing what to expect. Of course it’ll be centered on the Amish way of life, there will be some kind of heartbreak that needs resolving through Christian principles, there will be bold statements about God and/or prayers and if you can find the silence to listen you might learn something.

Lewis uses her talent for descriptive and metaphorical language to create vivid images so you can actually feel like you’ve been to Amish country. Even if you’ve never read a Lewis book it’ll be easy to get used to her use of the particular language and dialect her Amish characters use thanks to her detailed context. She paints their way of life as something beautiful and full rather than lacking as you might believe since they aren’t held together through social media, video games, comic movies or our warring political parties. She creates a world that even the tech and Starbucks addicts can envy even just a little.

Lewis tried something new in this novel compared to most of her other ones by using an Inn as the setting and it worked very well because it provided a chance to see more of how the Amish and ‘English’ might interact and what each other’s expectations might be. The way it was described you felt like you were walking through the rooms and meadows outdoors, made me wish I could make a reservation.

Typical for Lewis the family dynamics involved that she spun through her well-developed characters was both dramatic and heartwarming at once. At times I felt irritated with the choices being made but once you understand the full story and how each character viewed their part in it you can see how very logical and realistic their actions were.

The nice thing about a Lewis novel is no matter what goes on you’re guaranteed a good ending so the plot, dialogue and characters can just whisk you away from whatever stressful reality you may be dealing with to one where peaceful endings are just around the turn of the page. ( )
  ttsheehan | Sep 20, 2017 |
Beverly Lewis continues to be an awesome author. I enjoyed reading about running a B & B. Also, she continues to develop her characters well, but I was a bit shocked at Trina's behavior when she arrived at the inn, especially since she was so nice before in dealing with Gail.
I'll be looking forward to Beverly Lewis' next novel. ( )
  eliorajoy | Sep 18, 2017 |
Amanda left her Amish community five years ago, upset when she catches her twin sister embracing the boy Amanda always dreamed of marrying. But now, she is headed back to her homestead, with some misgivings. Her mother has died and left Amanda her Bed-and-Breakfast inn but with the stipulation that to inherit it, she must run it for a year and make profit. But Amanda is not welcomed back as the prodigal daughter returning. She, as well as the Amish community, must come to an understanding of what her return really means. An interesting concept, this tale is not a typical Amish story, and the varied characters in a somewhat unusual setting makes for an entertaining read. ( )
  Maydacat | Sep 17, 2017 |
The Proving by Beverly Lewis takes Amanda Dienner back home to Gordonville, Pennsylvania. Amanda “Mandy” Dienner left home five years ago after discovering her twin sisters, Arie Mae, betrayal. Mandy has been living and working in Scott City, Kansas. One day she receives a certified letter from her older brother, Jerome telling her that her mother, Saloma passed away unexpectedly. Mandy learns that she has been left Butterfly Meadows, the families Amish bed-and-breakfast, to her. Mandy would have expected the B and B to be left to Arie Mae. The inheritance comes with the condition that Mandy run Butterfly Meadows at a profit for twelve consecutive months. Mandy returns home to take over the inn, but she is not prepared for the community’s and guests feelings about her non-Amish status. Will Mandy be able to handle the close proximity to her sister and her husband? Can Mandy find it in her heart to forgive and move on with her life?

The Proving is well-written, engaging, and has a nice easy flow. I liked the main characters and their stories. It was nice to follow their journey and see how they changed/developed. I only summarized Mandy’s portion of the story and her challenges (lack of cooking skills, not being Amish—when guests expect an Amish hostess, resentment). There is Catrina Sutton who signs up for a mystery vacation (hoping for beach destination) and ends up at Butterfly Meadows. Some of themes in The Proving are forgiveness, power of prayer, love, and letting God take the driver’s seat on your life’s journey (He is in control, not you). It is amazing what happens when you pray and believe. My rating for The Proving is 4 out of 5 stars (I liked it). The story is somewhat predictable (romantic outcomes especially), but I enjoyed reading this pleasant Amish book. The Proving is a lovely, heartwarming novel that provides a delightful respite from reality (which we all desperately need at times). ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Sep 14, 2017 |
Absolutely stunning work. This is the first Amish novel I've read and I quite adored it. I couldn't put it down. The wonderful story of Mandy Sue, raised Amish but left home before being baptized into the church, is just beautiful and heart warming. A true coming home story. I will definitely be reading more Amish novels, starting with those written by the very talented Beverly Lewis. ( )
  JessBass87 | Sep 1, 2017 |
My first ever night away from home, I struggled with sleeplessness, having abruptly left with two other Amish girls.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764219669, Paperback)

Amish Fiction's #1 Author Presents a Touching Story of Perseverance and Second Chances

Amanda Dienner hasn't spoken a word to her Old Order mother or twin sister in five years when she receives word that her mother has passed away and left her Lancaster County's most popular Amish bed-and-breakfast. Now an Englisher, Mandy is shocked: Her sister should have been the obvious choice! But because this is all her controlling mother's doing, of course there's a catch, and Mandy soon learns that the farmhouse inn will only truly be hers if she is able to successfully run it for one year.

Mandy accepts the challenge even though it means returning to Gordonville and the painful memories she left behind at eighteen. Still, she's determined to prove she is more than capable of running the bed-and-breakfast, no matter that its loyal clientele are expecting an Amish hostess!

The inn isn't Mandy's sole test, however. Rubbing shoulders with her married twin sister reopens wounds that Mandy isn't ready to forgive. And an Englisher guest with a difficult past of her own just complicates matters.

Can Mandy fulfill the terms of her inheritance? Or will this year in Amish country prove a dreadful mistake?

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 11 Mar 2017 12:05:17 -0500)

After five years as an Englisher, Amanda Dienner is shocked to learn her mother has passed away and left her Lancaster County's most popular Amish bed-and-breakfast. What's more, the inn will only truly be hers if Mandy can successfully run it for twelve months. Reluctantly, Mandy accepts the challenge, no matter that it means facing the family she left behind--or that the inn's clientele expect an Amish hostess! Can Mandy fulfill the terms of her inheritance, or will this prove a dreadful mistake?… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Beverly Lewis's book The Proving was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,692,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible