Yo Soy Muslim: A Father's Letter to His…

Yo Soy Muslim: A Father's Letter to His Daughter (edition 2017)

by Mark Gonzales (Author), Mehrdokht Amini (Illustrator)

1067199,893 (4)None
A lyrical celebration of multiculturalism as a parent shares with a child the value of their heritage and why it should be a source of pride, even when others disagree.
Member:SWONlibraries
Title:Yo Soy Muslim: A Father's Letter to His Daughter
Authors:Mark Gonzales (Author)
Other authors:Mehrdokht Amini (Illustrator)
Info:Salaam Reads / Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2017), Edition: Illustrated, 32 pages
Collections:2020 PBRI - Diverse Books

Yo Soy Muslim: A Father's Letter to His Daughter by Mark Gonzales

Primary; Realistic Fiction; In a letter from a father to her daughter he tells her the world will eventually stop being so kind and will ask her where she is from and who she is and she will need to tell them. He gives her a small list of things she should tell them that define who she is and tells her she should be proud of who she is. This is a specific book about Muslim culture, so it would be great for students who are Muslim as well as students of other backgrounds that may not be the majority. ( )
  MaggieRemy | Mar 1, 2021 |
I loved this book. It teachers its reader to not be ashamed of who they are and to embrace their differences. I think books like this are very important for young children to read so they can learn about different cultures. I think this is important because they can see that yeah they may be different, but they are still human and their differences make them unique. The illustrations really bring this book together because they are very detailed. I think the more detailed a picture book is the more interesting it is. All in all, I think a big take away from this book is love people for who they are, and embrace your differences. I Highly recommend this book. ( )
  lendli2 | Oct 1, 2018 |
This is a poetic picture book, written as a letter from a father to his daughter. It is intended to help her celebrate her diverse background. The beautiful vibrant illustrations work with the thought provoking verse like text to give the reader a peek into the religious and cultural world of a Hispanic Muslim.

This was an emotional read for me, maybe because of the power of the positive affirmation it offered. It sent the message to take pride in your heritage despite what others think of you. On top of this message, the illustrations featured striking representations of modern day city life, beautiful views of the Earth, and vibrant colors and patterns associated with the Muslim and Hispanic cultures.
  maryganderson | Sep 16, 2018 |
What the book is about: Written as a letter from a father to his daughter, Yo Soy Muslim is a beautifully illustrated poem sharing the significance of the Muslim faith in her life. He wants her to accept her multicultural diversity with open arms and know that there will be people who do not understand her and that is okay.
In my opinion this is a great book to share with students who may feel weary in their faith and/or cultural differences from those around them. The illustrations help carry the lines of the poem along, making it more like a work of art rather than a book—the style of the drawings fits the culture and gives it an authentic signature. The colors on certain pages, particularly toward the end of the book, where the father writes “Say it with me: Yo soy Muslim, our prayers were here before any borders were”, are vibrant and enrich the text to make it more powerful. The language of the poem is clear and intentional with a protective undertone that any parent will feel for their child when sending them out into a world filled with judgement. There is a part in the poem where her father writes: “There are questions this world will ask. What are you? And where are you from? And there will come a day when some people in the world will not smile at you”, this sets the tone for the conflict of the poem and describes the fearful lives minorities unfortunately must carry with them. The big idea of the story is that what makes you who you are is not what others perceive you to be, rather you are what you value and celebrate. It is easy to lose sight of the purpose of your beliefs when the world seems to be against them—the real challenge is working to overcome these influences to discover your full potential. ( )
  mkende1 | Sep 11, 2018 |
This was not one of my favorite books, but it was still a good read. I didn't like it because the writing does not flow and it doesn't have a plot. It talks about the sky and the moon, sort of in poetry, then about her culture and identity, and then back to nature, praying, and God. It seemed all over the place. I did enjoy how the character talks about her identity and her point of view as a Muslim. She says people stare and do not smile at her. She is strong though, she tells the people who judge her that she speaks dreams and that she is wondrous. She ignores the negative people and flaunts her religion. This book helps children like her accept their culture and embrace it. ( )
  okelle3 | Sep 4, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,002,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible