Battlefront II: Inferno Squad (Star Wars) by…

Battlefront II: Inferno Squad (Star Wars) (edition 2018)

by Christie Golden (Author)

After the humiliating theft of the Death Star plans and the destruction of the battle station, the Empire is on the defensive. But not for long. In retaliation, the elite Imperial soldiers of Inferno Squad have been called in for the crucial mission of infiltrating and eliminating the partisans--the rebel faction once led by notorious Republic freedom fighter Saw Gerrera. Following the death of their leader, the partisans have carried on his extremist legacy, determined to thwart the Empire--no matter the cost. Now the Inferno Squad must prove their status as the best of the best and take down the partisans from within. But the growing threat of being discovered in their enemy's midst turns an already dangerous operation into a do-or-die acid test they dare not fail. To protect and preserve the Empire, what lengths will Inferno Squad go to ... and how far beyond them? --… (more)
Member:Azrael4u2
Title:Battlefront II: Inferno Squad (Star Wars)
Authors:Christie Golden (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2018), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages
Rating:***

Battlefront II: Inferno Squad (Star Wars) by Christie Golden

I'm not a huge Christie Golden fan at all. Most of her SW stuff I think has been total dreck. On a writing level, this is sub-par to average, as per usual with her. The plot for this is basically two hundred pages of set-up to getting them infiltrated in the "dreamers", the remnants of Saw Gerrera's partisans from Rogue One. .....Problem is for this novel... there's all of about 8 Dreamers left, and two die soon after the Inferno Squad infiltrate. So a group of 4 infiltrate a group of 6, for a total of 10. Which makes the Inferno Squad 40% of the group. And we're supposed to buy that this group is so devastating and important. They even kill Imperials to keep up the appearance, and much of the novel is the internal strife they have of being there.

It just seems impractical, implausible, and stupid. Seems the kinda crap that sounds good on paper until put into practice. Sounds like what you'd write for Star Wars, especially new Disney Star Wars, without putting too much thought to it.

I understand trying to get the information, but it still doesn't seem worth it, especially in light of killing your own people and everything. It doesn't help that Golden's writing is just so.... tepid. ( )
  BenKline | Jul 1, 2020 |
Starts well but drags somewhat in the third quarter before picking up at the end again. A mildly diverting read but not spectacular. Iden Versio is an interesting character as are the other members of Inferno Squad but we never really get to know them in any kind of depth. ( )
  iftyzaidi | Dec 7, 2019 |
Tie fighter pilot Iden Versio was present at the Battle of Yavin engaged in battle with X-Wing fighters when the first Death Star was destroyed. One of the only survivors, she crash landed on Yavin but was able to steal a ship and return to her Imperial comrades. Shortly after returning she is contacted by her father Admiral Garrick Verso and is summoned to a meeting. Along with three others, her childhood friend Gideon Hask, Del Meeko and Seyn Marana are reassigned to the newly formed Inferno Squadron. Established to go undercover to deal with the Rebel threat. After couple of successful missions they undertake their most difficult mission, going deep undercover and infiltrating The Dreamers. The Dreamers are what remains of Saw Gerrera's group. Iden and her comrades have always seen The Rebels as an uncaring terrorist group, but as they spend more time with The Dreamers they see a different side of their enemies. A side the never thought existed a side that might put their mission in jeopardy.

My Thoughts:

Okay I've heard of but never played any of the Battlefront games, and I'm not sure how closely the story in the book follows the game but I can't really imagine it being very interesting if it does. What I could say the book does very good is getting you to root for Inferno Squadron. I kept having to remind myself that they are part of The Empire and The Empire is the enemy. There was some action sequences that were very good. But close to the end there is suppose to be a big reveal of a certain character. I could hear the climactic music playing in my head and a gasp when he was revealed and then I was like, okay who the hell is this suppose to be? After a quick search on Wookiepedia I found out he was a somewhat important character from The Clone Wars animated series. And even though I saw the show I could very vaguely remember who this person was. Beside that I found it to be an enjoyable story, not a great story but still an enjoyable one. ( )
  GenreBookReview | Jun 22, 2019 |
I have no relationship at all to the video game, but the premise for the story intrigued me (Imperials going undercover in an extremist Rebel cell), and the novel delivered! Nothing earth-shatteringly original here, sure, but everything is quite well executed, and I felt appropriately torn in my loyalties (as, indeed, does the cast of characters). If this is any indication of the potential, they should definitely do more books humanizing the Imperial idealists. ( )
  Lucky-Loki | May 16, 2019 |
I was disappointed, we find out what happens after Saw's death and how the Inferno Squad comes together. But unfortunately the characters are flat and uninteresting. Idea felt likes spin off of Jynn Erso and the rest were all flat. This could've easily been one of the junior novels rather than what it tries to be ( )
  capiam1234 | Aug 5, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,435,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible