The Elementals by Michael McDowell

The Elementals (original 1981; edition 2014)

by Michael McDowell (Author), Michael Rowe (Introduction)

Something terrifying waits in the decaying Victorian house on the coast, something that has haunted two men since they were children, something that may be ready to kill...again.
Member:EsotericCOHMeet
Title:The Elementals
Authors:Michael McDowell (Author)
Other authors:Michael Rowe (Introduction)
Info:Valancourt Books (2014), Edition: Illustrated, 230 pages

Work Information

The Elementals by Michael McDowell (1981)

Recently added byjamcnerney, jaimjane, private library, madisonrene, mshereda, catgirl_luna, acvickers

English (29)  German (1)  All languages (30)
I’m so pleased to have read this. I loved the setting and the characters, which create a unique atmosphere for this haunted house story. The heat portrayed makes you want to lie around doing nothing but melting and reading this book. There are some truly spooky scenes, though I found the buildup more sinister than the ending. Towards the end, the book feels a little rushed because of the languid though absorbing journey to get there. Indeed, I found the slower parts of the book carry the more eerie aspects, so that when the story speeds up, as a climax should, it almost diminishes the scare, leaving me feeling the novel was over too fast. Still, the curious happenings and daunting disturbances are worth spending time with. ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | Sep 8, 2021 |
  joyblue | Jun 10, 2021 |
If you’re looking for a nice slice of Gothic horror, this book’s for you. Creepy and atmospheric, this eerie little masterpiece is sure to give you the chills (or at least the heebie jeebies). Unlike some books published decades ago, this one stands the test of time. (Interesting side note: this author co-wrote the Beetlejuice screenplay!) ( )
  ShannonHollinger | Feb 15, 2021 |
The natural ghost is removed from this book but is replaced with something even more powerful and more ferocious against the strange isolation of the story. ( )
  David_Masumba | Oct 14, 2020 |
Amazing listen, R C Bray was the perfect narrator. The story was deeply atmospheric and creepy. I found myself thinking about it late at night and freaking myself out. It would have gotten 5 stars except for a few plot holes not being resolved at the end. Otherwise, this counts as one of my top reads in a very long time! ( )
  tattooedreader13 | Aug 27, 2020 |
The tone McDowell takes for The Elementals is, at first glance, anachronistically slow and courtly for its time-period, relying on creepy misdirection and a sort of black comedy of manners rather than short, sharp shocks for its overall impact. As the book continues, however, its atmosphere builds to a close, hot pitch of febrile discomfort; McDowell never sets a foot wrong, choosing each word with nasty care and maintaining a cruel distance from his protagonists throughout, which allows them to cocoon themselves within a self-defeating shell of disbelief and indifference, then watches the consequences of their inaction evolve without comment, let alone sympathy.

Michael McDowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bray, R. C.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To lead us farther into darkness, and quite to lose us in this maze of Error . . . the Devil maketh men believe that apparitions, and such as confirm his existence are either deceptions of sight, or melancholy depravements of phansie. -- Sir Thomas Browne, Pseudodoxia Epidemica
In memory of James and Mildred Mulkey
In the middle of a desolate Wednesday afternoon in the last sweltering days of May, a handful of mourners were gathered in the church dedicated to St. Jude Thaddeus in Mobile, Alabama.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,489,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible