dismiss

Lady Jayne Disappears by Joanna Davidson…

Lady Jayne Disappears

by Joanna Davidson Politano

When Aurelie Harcourt's father dies in debtor's prison, he leaves her just two things: his wealthy family, whom she has never met, and his famous pen name, Nathaniel Droll. Her new family greets her with apathy and even resentment. Only the quiet houseguest, Silas Rotherham, welcomes her company.When Aurelie decides to complete her father's unfinished serial novel, writing the family into the story as unflattering characters, she must keep her identity as Nathaniel Droll hidden while searching for the truth about her mother's disappearance--and perhaps even her father's death.Author Joanna Davidson Politano's stunning debut set in Victorian England will delight readers with its highly original plot, lush setting, vibrant characters, and reluctant romance.… (more)

I received this book for free from JustRead tours as part of their Blind Date with a Book tour.

First off, I just want to say that JustRead tours did an amazing job matching me with this book. It was right up my alley.

This book was like Jane Eyre meets a Charles Dickens novel and I loved it. It’s like Jane Eyre in the sense that the main character is living in a mysterious house with people above her station. Similar to a Dickens novel, this book deals with and shed light on some unsavory things about the Victorian era like debtors’ prison.

I loved the vibe of this book. It’s mysterious with a hint of a gothic feel to it.

There’s a little bit of romance too. The love interest was perfect for the main character. They were really good together. Also, he was an avid reader so you gotta love him. At point he says, “I admit I’man escapist when it comes to books. I become drunk on story, on words, as a buffer against reality” (pg. 104).

This book is Christian fiction but it is very light on the religious aspects. It doesn’t overpower the story itself which I liked.

The only thing I didn’t love was that the mystery wasn’t as exciting as I would have liked.

Overall, this was an enjoyable Victorian tale with a beautiful blend of romance and mystery. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Nov 17, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Stories of plucky young women who go after what they want never fail to entertain. When those young women go against their place in society all the better. In Lady Jane Disappears the heroine is the daughter of the lady in the title and she is trying to figure out where her mother went. Her father has died in debtor's prison and Aurelie finds herself forced to live with an aunt she does not know. This new family does not seem to care about her but at least she has a roof over her head - and what a roof it is. Full of secret passages and mysteries.

This was a vastly entertaining tale of a young woman with secrets trying to answer the biggest mystery of her life - what happened to her mother. It's full of quirky characters and written in a way that is sure to keep the pages turning until the very end. ( )
  BooksCooksLooks | Jan 5, 2019 |
Aurelie Harcourt - a young lady living in Victorian England - arrives at the estate of an aunt she never meant after her father dies in debtors prison. While she may have been thrown upon the mercy of indifferent relatives, she harbors a secret - the identity of the famous serial novelist Nathaniel Droll. Nathaniel Droll was the pen name of her father, and as the events of the novel unfold it becomes hers as well. This plucky young woman not only has the nerve to assume the role of an author, she also decides she must find out whatever happened to her mother - the famed Lady Jayne who stole her father's heart but then disappeared right after she was born. Her aunt and cousins are little help to her in this quest, but some kindly servants and a friend of the family - a rather good looking man named Silas Rotherham - may prove to be more helpful in her many quests.
I thoroughly enjoyed this period mystery/romance. Who can resist a young woman sneaking around a massive and old British estate, finding secret passage ways, encountering mysterious apparitions, and trying to untangle the truth behind the lovely stories her father told her about "Lady Jayne" - her mother? Of course the truth turns out to not quite match Aurelie's romanticized version of the past, and Aurielie makes many blunders along the way. Fans of Dickens, Austen, and the Bronte stories should lap this up. My one annoyance was that our main character seemed somewhat scatterbrained in how she went about things - conveniently forgetting to attend to major issues in her life until they popped back up again in the story. Otherwise, I especially enjoyed the audio version which had a narrator who did a wonderful job with the different voices and made it seem like I was really going on romp through Victorian England with Aurelie and her friends - and enemies. ( )
  debs4jc | Dec 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was captivating! I absolutely loved her style of writing. This story was so well written, and was a delight to my imagination as I turned each page. It's been a while since I enjoyed a book so much. The mystery part of this story seriously had me questioning what the author had up her sleeve. I loved that this story was not predictable and made me work to figured out the mystery. If you are looking for a fantastic tale woven together with beautiful artistry, pick up Lady Jayne Disappears and enjoy some great writing!!!

***I received this complimentary book from Library Thing. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  MandaT | Jul 13, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book kept me rivoted to my seat until the very end. I would love to see the sequal or as the late father Woolf in the story requested of his daughter to write the second book of the true story of their family, of course it is just a fiction novel withing in a novel. But perhaps a second novel that continues to follow the family after the union of Silas and Aurelie Rosette Harcourt... ( )
  redheadish | Jul 10, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Joanna Davidson Politano's book Lady Jayne Disappears was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Joanna Davidson Politano is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,680,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible