The Heart of Valor: A Confederation Novel by…

The Heart of Valor: A Confederation Novel (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Tanya Huff

Member:Engnova
Title:The Heart of Valor: A Confederation Novel
Authors:Tanya Huff
Info:DAW (2008), Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:Science Fiction

The Heart of Valor by Tanya Huff (2007)

The Confederation series is amazing and I never want it to stop. The Heart of Valor is a fun, engaging Space Opera romp.

Also thank you Tanya Huff for having not-straight characters in your military space opera series. Even when they're background characters, it means a whole lot to me. ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
Torin is in a hot mess as usual. In this book she escorts a major and his doctor to a marine training planet, and of course there are a bunch of recruits too that will finish their training. And then boom the planet turns on them. But Torin can sure handle herself, and see to that people around her stays alive. She is so very kick-ass.

But what I liked the most was that Torin started to question things, and I never questioned things either but now I did that too. Humans and other beings help The Elder races fight The others. But, here is the but, why are the fighting? I realized that I did not know, cos yes Torin did not know. And only The Elder races has ever been in peace talk. Sure I wondered about The Others before but now I really wonder. And because of that I want more, because I need to know now.

Of course there are other things going on that I can't get into, why the planet turned on them. Things that has to do with book 2 and of course the whole aspect of Torin wondering what the hell is going on.

Kick-ass action, a few dilemmas on the way ;) trust me on that. And did I say action? Lots of action and shooting. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
"" ( )
  b00kworm72 | Sep 1, 2015 |
"" ( )
  b00kworm72 | Sep 1, 2015 |
Again with the loving Tanya Huff. This whole series is about, basically, how war is a mindfuck. This book takes it to another level, with a training exercise turning deadly and a twist that, while it's fairly heavily foreshadowed, brings the sort of wacky previous book into horrifying context. I adore the main character, the overall queer sensibility, and the hoo-rah Marine attitude tempered by the increasingly impossible situations. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |

Tanya Huffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Glover, ElizabethDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ingrid de Buda, a valorous friend.
From her position on one of the upper galleries, Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr studied the Humans, di'Taykan, and occasional Krai filling the public terminal from bulkhead to bulkhead.
'Gunnery Sergeant Kerr?' Another di'Taykan. Emerald-green hair this time. 'When you were facing those hundreds of Silsviss and your platoon was surrounded and almost out of ammo, were you afraid?'

'Gunnery Sergeants don't feel fear, recruit. We eat overgrown lizards for breakfast and wash them down with a side of H'san. However, since I was only a staff sergeant at the time, I can tell you that the moisture-controls on a pair of Marine Corps Class As work to design specifications.' (chapter 2)
'Gunny?' He [McGuinty] stopped her before she could walk away. 'Is this what it's like all the time?'

Being covered in someone else's blood trying to jury-rig a solution before artillery blows us to hell? The silent corollary was almost louder than the actual question.

Torin raised an eyebrow and snorted. 'Of course not. Sometimes it gets exciting.' (chapter 15)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756404819, Mass Market Paperback)

Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr was a Confederation Marine's marine. She'd survived more deadly encounters-and kept more of her officers and enlistees alive-than anyone in the Corps, and she was determined to keep that record intact. But since her last mission, she'd been sidelined into endless briefings and debriefings with no end in sight. So, of course, she'd jumped at the chance to go to Crucible-the Marine Corps training planet-as a temporary aide to Major Svensson. The major had been reduced to little more than a brain and a spinal cord in his last combat, and he and his doctor were anxious to field-test his newly regrown body.It should have been an easy twenty-day run. After all, Crucible was only set up to simulate battle situations so that recruits could be trained safely. But they were barely on-planet when someone started blasting the training scenarios to smithereens. Suddenly, Kerr found herself not only responsible for the major and his doctor but caught in a desperate fight to keep a platoon of Marine recruits alive until someone could discover what was happening on Crucible.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:34 -0400)

Jumping at the chance to go to Crucible, the Marine Corps training planet, to work with Major Svensson, Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr finds herself caught in a desperate fight for survival when someone begins attacking the training scenarios.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,773,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible