Malagash by Joey Comeau

Title:Malagash
Authors:Joey Comeau (Author)
Info:ECW Press (2017), 187 pages

Malagash by Joey Comeau

A beautiful, tender, and emotionally true story about a young girl coping with her father’s terminal illness and the measures she takes to preserve his memory. For me, the loveliest book in recent memory. ( )
  fountainoverflows | May 10, 2018 |
This is an interesting narrative of a Nova Scotia family dealing with the father's premature death from cancer at 40 years old. The story focuses on the hospital visits and how the different family members cope with the man's terminal illness. The father himself is self deprecating and witty, so his banter keeps the visits light hearted. The daughter copes by recording her father's voice and planning on sending the audio files out on the internet as a virus so they be stored in hidden files until they are discovered. It's an intelligent witty book that deals with accepting death without being depressing. ( )
1 vote kerryp | Nov 30, 2017 |
How do you take a subject that has been written about many times before. And make it new and fresh?
Read this book, and you will see why readers are responding so positively to just such a book. A father dying, asking to die in the place he was raised, Nova Scotia. So his family who loves him dearly, wanting to honor his last wishes, does just that. Father in hospital, mother and daughter, young son attempt to fill his last days with humor, and a great deal of love. His daughter who will miss him dearly goes even further. She has plans, ideas and a way to make her father's last words last forever.

A sadly but beautiful look at a family that is so filled with love, even during this trying and devastating time. The book is starkly written, short matter of fact paragraphs and yet they convey so much emotion. This is a family that cold be torn apart by the death of a loved one but instead due to the mind of an amazing daughter have a chance to survive and even to thrive.

The cover is absolutely gorgeous, covers do attract, but sometimes what is within can disappoint. This one lives up to the the beauty of the cover by giving the readers a wonderful and heartfelt story.

ARC from Netgalley. ( )
1 vote Beamis12 | Nov 6, 2017 |
I'd never heard of Joey Comeau or his latest book, Malagash. Generally, I don't go for small books—I like 'em thick. But one look at the premise and I knew this was a story I wanted to read: Sunday's father is dying of cancer … She's started recording everything her father says … Because Sunday is writing a computer virus. A computer virus that will live secretly on the hard drives of millions … A computer virus that will think her father's thoughts and say her father's words … Her father is going to live forever.

BAM! I was sold.

Malagash is a strong novel (it may border on being novella length). It has an original premise, is full of believable characters, and is such a quick read. Despite my inclination to favor larger books, I think the brevity works for this story. Could I have spent more time with Sunday's family? Yes, they were enjoyable company, but I think we get to know enough of them to understand their abundant intrigues and quirks. This understanding of the characters comes from an experienced handling of the family's interactions with one another—each filled with meaning and subtlety.

At one point during the story, we are treated to a magic trick and, whether it was Comeau's intention or not, I believe Malagash is in itself a bit of a magic trick. An illusion. Look here at this thing in my right hand, the author seems to be saying, while I manipulate reality with my left. The magic is in the premise—a dying father's voice living forever through a computer virus—anyone reading this story is probably doing so for the promised magic of that description. But while you weren't looking, something more significant happened in the life of Sunday, our protagonist, particularly in regards to her relationship with her brother. The magic of this story isn't in Sunday's computer virus or even in the life and death of her father, but in the burgeoning interactions of those left behind.

Malagash is a story about death, but it is more so a snapshot of life in motion. It is concise, but never abrupt. It is heartbreaking, but never for a second does it lose its spirit, the tremendous spirit of an inspirational and exceptional family. ( )
2 vote chrisblocker | Oct 26, 2017 |
Known primarily for darkly comic novels and the webcomic A Softer World, Comeau effortlessly switches gears to expose the trauma, heartbreak, and humor in loss. Sunday’s efforts to transform her father into “a ghost story that computers tell one another in the dark” is an immensely touching tribute to a very human struggle with mortality.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 177041407X, Paperback)

A precisely crafted, darkly humorous portrait of a family in mourning

Sunday’s father is dying of cancer. They’ve come home to Malagash, on the north shore of Nova Scotia, so he can die where he grew up. Her mother and her brother are both devastated. But devastated isn’t good enough. Devastated doesn’t fix anything. Sunday has a plan.

She’s started recording everything her father says. His boring stories. His stupid jokes. Everything. She’s recording every single “I love you” right alongside every “Could we turn the heat up in here?” It’s all important.

Because Sunday is writing a computer virus. A computer virus that will live secretly on the hard drives of millions of people all over the world. A computer virus that will think her father’s thoughts and say her father’s words. She has thousands of lines of code to write. Cryptography to understand. Exploits to test. She doesn’t have time to be sad. Her father is going to live forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 19 Mar 2017 08:22:57 -0400)

Joey Comeau is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

ECW Press

An edition of this book was published by ECW Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,961,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible