Burn Country: A March and Walker Crime Novel…

Burn Country: A March and Walker Crime Novel (The March and Walker Crime…

by Michael J. McCann

421,664,912 (4.5)None

No tags.

Burn Country is a police procedural revolving around a rash of arsons. The central focus is the final arson during which a high-profile politician was murdered. The plot is intricate and complex, with details that are well laid out and easy to follow.

The mystery is set up so that we are able to play detective along with the police. We dig deep into the Senator's life, unraveling the secrets of his past while forming a picture of the man he was. Alternately, we follow leads on the first group of arsons, where no one died, and which seem to point the investigation in a different direction.

Kevin Walker and Ellie March each go their own way in this case, as part of a larger investigative team. The interplay between the various characters feels genuine, with dialogue and exchanges that give us a good sense of each of them as well as their relationships with each other. Michael McCann's immense research shows in the realism of the police work.

This is the second book in McCann's March and Walker Crime Series, though it reads well as a stand-alone. With this second installment, I felt a connection to Kevin and Ellie as people outside of their work. I could see the emotional toll the job took on their personal lives, along with their drive and determination to solve the crime.

*I received an ebook copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.* ( )
  Darcia | Apr 17, 2017 |
Another thoroughly enjoyable police procedural mystery by Michael McCann. What can I say? I'm completely hooked with these books. Mr. McCann creates likable, believable characters, involved with mysteries, workplace politics and personal struggles, with locales all within my stomping grounds. I find that a definitive sign of a good book is feeling contentment, yet loss when the story comes to an end. I enjoyed the company of Ontario Provincial Police Officers Ellie March and Kevin Walker and their co-workers so much that now I miss them. Another book is in the makings and I'm looking forward to it with anticipation.

In Burn Country Ellie and Kevin get called to the site of an arson in which a body is found bound to an office chair. Their investigation takes them from the farmland of the Ottawa Valley to Parliament Hill, dealing with a myriad of witnesses, suspects and interested parties. It's a good mystery that keeps the reader guessing, with interesting, relevant clues and characters.

Pick up a copy, you won't regret it. ( )
  katylit | Apr 17, 2017 |

Michael J. McCann is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Burn Country by Michael J. McCann was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,876,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible