Burn Country: A March and Walker Crime Novel…

Burn Country: A March and Walker Crime Novel (The March and Walker Crime…

by Michael J. McCann

Burn Country by Michael J. McCann is the fourth novel I have read by this author. A fire has broken out and Ontario Provincial Detective Ellie March is brought in after a body has been discovered in the fire. After identification, it is determined that the body is that of Independent Senator Darius Lane. Darius was a famous artist with an interesting past.

Detective Constable Kevin Walker is investigating the case also, this was not the only fire and it appears that there is a serial arsonist on the loose in Leeds County burning barns. Not only that, because the latest victim was a political figure, the RCMP Assistant Commissioner Danny Merrick is also on the case. Ellie is not a happy camper with this as it is like the FBI in the States taking over a case from local police. They find that in order to solve the case they need to work together.

With Mr.McCann's ability to tell a story that keeps the reader wanting more, we learn more about the lives of the victim but also Ellie and Kevin. Ellie knows her stuff when it comes to interrogation but is not fond of interdepartmental dealings. Ellie has a lot of baggage and just wants to find out who murdered Darius, not deal with political machinations.

Kevin Walker, has some personal baggage also, a precarious relationship with the woman he lives with. So dealing with that, trying to figure out the who and why gets to be a bit dangerous for him.

This book is the sequel to Sorrow Lake which introduced us to the team of Ellie March and Kevin Walker, it can be read as a stand alone novel. If you love a good mystery, you can't go wrong with anything that Michael McCann writes. ( )
  celticlady53 | Jun 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a quick little read, and I did really enjoy it, if it was a bit easy to guess where things where headed before I made it halfway through the book. That being said, I liked March and would like to see more stories involving her, perhaps where we learn a bit more about her as a person and what makes her tick. ( )
  Danysh2016 | Jun 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This a competently plotted and written police procedural. The two main characters are interesting and sympathetic -- I'd like to read more about them. Unfortunately, there are a couple of problems with the book. First...there's too much procedure in the procedural. While it's probably a quite accurate reflection of reality, I really don't need to know about the 9 zillion different agencies and their organizational structures. There are too many characters and too many phone calls to report things we already know. And, if you are going to have that many characters, please don't introduce a dozen of them in the first chapter and then refer to each one by first name sometimes and second name at others...all in that first chapter. I was completely confused for quite a while. Second, the mystery isn't really much of a mystery. The cops are all SO competent that they quite correctly figure out who is lying and who isn't and it all feels like a simple, straight line march from crime to arrest. And the one time they are wrong about someone, another cop comes in from nowhere with startling new facts that clears everything up instantly. So, all in all, not a bad read, but not a gripping one, either. ( )
  jjlangel | Jun 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this ARC in return for an honest review.

Burn Country is very good for those fans of detailed police procedurals, especially for Canadians who are familiar with the Ontario countryside and our capital city. You can set your worries aside and follow the characters as they travel, have meetings, study information, and pursue clues. I am quite familiar, and happy, with country driving, roads ending suddenly, and veering off in an unexpected direction. After reading this book, I have an increased appreciation for our local police detachment and the painstaking planning they undertake with their cases. ( )
  nhlsecord | May 29, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was especially interesting because the locale is very familiar to me. Burn Country, as per its title, deals with a series of unsolved arson cases that take place in a rural area outside of Ottawa. The most recent barn fire is different from the others because a body has been found and this becomes a murder inquiry. The steps of this investigation are well described and maintain the interest of the reader. DC Kevin Walker and DI Ellie March are the dedicated investigators assigned to this case. The victim, a senator and an artist, appears to have had a checkered past and several people might have wanted him dead. And so we witness the progression of this investigation. The novel was intriguing and enjoyable and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good mystery. I am now interested in reading more of Michael McCann's work. ( )
  carole888fort | May 26, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Michael J. McCann's book Burn Country is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Michael J. McCann is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,330,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible