Morningstar: Growing Up With Books by Ann…

Morningstar: Growing Up With Books (2017)

by Ann Hood

Highly recommended for anyone who loves books. Thank you, Ann Hood, for stirring up so many long-forgotten memories of growing up reading. ( )
  Gingermama | Sep 11, 2017 |
This is a lovely book about books. Written so very well, each page is a joy. Ann Hood takes the reader on a wonderful journey of books that changed her life. Weaving the title of the book with the story of how and why the particular book led the author on a marvelous path, I read the book in one sitting, relating to many of which I had read.

Highly recommended! ( )
  Whisper1 | Aug 20, 2017 |
Hood's memoir through books is organized around "lessons" she learned from various books she read in her childhood or young adulthood. A pleasant, entertaining, sometimes insightful little read. If you enjoy books about books and reading, not a bad addition to that genre. ( )
  lycomayflower | Aug 8, 2017 |
Ann Hood is not only an author, but also an extreme lover of books. This slim novel, 186 pages, begins with her very first exposure to books and reading and the impact certain tomes had on her academics and relationships. The author does a fine job describing the emotional impact certain passages on her well-being and life choices. Her descriptions will encourage other to read the books mentioned.

I was randomly chosen through a Goodreads Giveaway to receive this book free from the publisher. Although encouraged, I was under no obligation to write a review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  bemislibrary | Jul 7, 2017 |
Another book about books, the second I have read in a short space of time. Nothing too different, an authors experience with her love of books and the books that changed her life, seeming to fall into her hands at just the right time. What resonated with me though was that her reading experiences, the books themselves, and even the time period when she read them , as well as her reactions when she read them, almost perfectly matched my own.

One in particular was almost a perfect match and it is her reading of the novel, Johnny got his gun, a book that she read when she was fifteen and the book that first opened her eyes to social consciousness, and a book that haunts her to this day. Read this at exactly the same she, and it had the same effect on me, also one of two books that haunts me. Her reading was never directed, nor censored and nor was mine, something of which I am extremely grateful to my parents and teachers.

Of course other novels are mentioned, all of which I have read, only one that I didn't. Her Italian family, their love of food, their love of family. This book brought back so many memories, and although a relatively short read, I loved every moment.

ARC from publisher.
Publishes August 1st by W. W. Norton. ( )
  Beamis12 | Jun 16, 2017 |
This book is for all the giants whose shoulders I stand on-
With thanks for letting me see farther
When I was four years old, for reasons no one in my family could explain, I picked up my older brother Skip's reading book and I read it.
I believe that magically the book we are supposed to read somehow appears in our hands at just the right time.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,621,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible