Broad Strokes: 15 Women Who Made Art and…

Broad Strokes: 15 Women Who Made Art and Made History (in That Order)

by Bridget Quinn

Other authors: Lisa Congdon (Illustrator)

4810344,593 (4)13

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's been many years since earning my B.A. in Art History, and it was fun to dive back into deeper looks into the lives of individual artists, especially female artists. I will admit that most of the names were unknown to me, which, honestly, made it even more fun. The author has a writing style that is going to bother some people, and others will adore. I happen to be in the latter category. Reading this book is more like having a conversation, it is chunked in a way that gives you juicy tidbits, rather than making you read through prolific prose to dig out the interesting parts. She shares background, the artists' and her own, she's irreverently funny and sarcastic, and includes analysis of both the artistic works and the social policies and pitfalls of the artists' time. I want to go wander around Manhattan, and especially the Met, with this author. This was a fun, entertaining, and educational read. I went at it chapter by chapter, instead of in one long sitting, enabling me to fall into the life of one artist, and then spend time digesting the images and new knowledge before moving on to the next, sometimes days later. I can think of several strong, passionate women in my life who will enjoy this book - some with artistic backgrounds, and some simply with backgrounds in badassery. ( )
  KatharineClifton | May 10, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A look at female artists and their place in history.
The book states that it is a look into the lives and careers of 15 female artists and it did sort of do that but it was almost more about the authors discovery and experiences of these artists works than it was about the artists themselves. I didn’t mind this split as I (mostly) found the look into the authors relationship with art and the artist just as interesting as the biographies themselves, and you are given enough information on the artists to at least get a feel for them if not an in depth understanding of their work and lives.
I am more than a little mixed on this book. Overall I enjoyed it and learned more than a few things I did not previously know but I also found that the authors bias and predominant focus on modern art made this book harder for me to really feel connected to the art and artists as this is not an art style that particularly appeals to me and I found my interest drifting as the book moved on.
At first I was a little disappointed in how few color plates of artwork there were, but I have to say that as I realized the focus was more on the author than the artists and their work, that bothered me less and less. At least the pictures that were included were of the main pieces that the author focused on so I could at least see what she was talking about.
I am also mixed on the portraits of the artists that start their chapters. The work was appealing but, at least to me, did not capture any feel of the artist or their art style and they sort of blended together after a while.
Overall the book was interesting and I liked the author’s insight into how the art affected her, but the heavy focus on modern art was a bit off putting to me which is more a matter of personal taste really.
It was a good read but I don’t see myself revisiting this book any time in the future. ( )
  Kellswitch | Sep 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a pleasant surprise! I was initially put off by the stereotypical pinkish-red cover of Broad Strokes, but once I began reading the first story I was charmed.

With wit and lively writing, Bridget Quinn introduces us to the lives of fifteen little-known women artists who forged their own unique and passionate ways through the art world. Accompanied by Quinn’s personal anecdotes and bold analysis of the women’s work, the result is a joyful success.
  themagiciansgirl | Sep 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have to admit, I reveled in this book. Quinn writes unabashedly out of love for these women's work, and it is contagious. The style here is unapologetically informal, lacking in any sort of cool, academic reserve, but in a way that is inviting rather than off-putting. It's not as if Quinn does not have any expertise in her subject area: she is candid about her personal journey from art school to full-time writer. Her "readings" of the paintings and other works in this book are superb and illuminating. And, if nothing else, Quinn won my vote for championing Vanessa Bell, whose work is no less remarkable and revolutionary than that of her sister, Virginia Woolf's. Quinn presents us with a wide array of subjects, from the Renaissance up until the present century, not shying away from controversial figures or situations. Apart from the excellent content, this book is also just a beautiful object. I loved the matte finish of the pages and being able to delve into the prints of the paintings free from the glare of the glossy pages of so many gallery catalogues. The intricate textures of the works really come alive here. Lisa Congdon's graceful watercolors add to the book's unique feel. A lot of thought obviously went into the design of this book, and it was much appreciated by this reader!

Above all, this work is a celebration of female creativity and artistry and views its subjects through this lens. It begins with absence - absence of women from the approved "canon" of historical art, and then gloriously fills in what the canon has missed. This is far from a dusty textbook chronicling the accomplishments of the past. It waits in joyful anticipation for what is to come, for the next great work, for the next amateur inspiration, for the impetus of women to continue creating amazing art to be celebrated. I won't even be really objective here. Read it. And be inspired. ( )
  kbuchanan | Sep 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Bridget Quinn's Broad Strokes was a fun and fascinating read into the lives of several women artists. I appreciated the broad range and conversational writing style that highlights Quinn's authorial voice. The work is a mixture of anecdotal biography and visual analysis, one which emphasizes the artist's contribution to art history. I enjoyed Quinn's inclusion of her own experience, interaction with, and thoughts on the women, as their art impacted the author's own career path and thought processes. Overall the work is well organized, a breezy and insightful read, and visually arresting with the illustrations, art work by the featured women, and strong, red/pink cover. Well done to all involved with this project! ( )
  TheGilletteLibrary | Aug 16, 2017 |

Quinn, Bridgetprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Congdon, LisaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"This book chronicles the lives and art of 15 often overlooked female artists from the Renaissance to the modern day"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bridget Quinn's book Broad Strokes was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,502,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible